Help me prove this Trigonometry identity

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help in proving the identity tan^2x - sin^2x = tan^2x sin^2x. The conversation involves different approaches and techniques to solve the problem, such as rewriting in terms of sine and cosine, using the Pythagorean identity, factoring, and expanding fractions. Eventually, the conversation leads to the realization that starting with tan^2x sin^2x instead of tan^2x - sin^2x would make the proof easier. The conversation also includes a misunderstanding about distributing and breaking apart fractions, as well as a mention of starting trigonometry in 9th grade.
footprints
Someone pls help me prove this identity. I'm going nuts :confused:
[tex]tan^2x - sin^2x = tan^2x sin^2x[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? For example, what if you rewrite everything in terms of sine and cosine (often a good thing to do):

sin^2(x) / cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) = sin^2(x)/cos^2(x) * sin^2(x)
<=>
sin^2(x) / cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)cos^2(x)/cos^2(x) = sin^4(x)/cos^2(x)
<=>
(sin^2(x) - sin^2(x)cos^2(x)) / cos^2(x) = sin^4(x)/cos^2(x)

Any ideas now? Factoring, and the Pythagorean identity will come in handy.

*edit* And after doing this, a better proof (where you only have to work with one side) appeared to me. This is often the case with trigonometric identities - at first you have a horrible mess of trigonometric expressions and after expanding, you see a way to transform one side into the other. I won't spoil the surprise though ;)

Last edited:
Thats what i tried/usually do but i just can't get it for this one. One question, I don't get one part,
sin^2(x) / cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)cos^2(x)/cos^2(x) = sin^4(x)/cos^2(x)
and so on.

I'm just writing it as one fraction.

a/b - c = a/b - cb/b = (a - cb)/b, for all a, b, c.

I see. But how does it help?

(sin^2(x) - sin^2(x)cos^2(x)) / cos^2(x) =
sin^2(x)(1 - cos^2(x)) / cos^2(x).

Recognize anything?

Oh right :rolleyes:
So I'll get [tex]\frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x} = \frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x}[/tex]Right?
So its proved. :smile:

I just worked it out, this one seems to be easier if you start with tan^2(x)*sin^2(x) instead of tan^2(x) – sin^2(x)

So if i start with [tex]{tan^2x} \cdot {sin^2x}[/tex] would do i do from here that would make it easier?

Factor out [itex]\tan^2 x [/itex] on the left-hand-side.

[tex]\tan^2 x (1-\cos^2 x)=\tan^2 x\sin^2 x[/tex]

footprints said:
Oh right :rolleyes:
So I'll get [tex]\frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x} = \frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x}[/tex]Right?
So its proved. :smile:

but when you write [tex]\frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x} = \frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x}[/tex]

you get Sin^2/Cos^2 x ( 1-cos^2)/Cos^2 so how does the second part form the sin^2x?? it would again land up forming Tan^2x ( because its sin^2/cos^2 )

thanks

I don't understand what u mean. When u say second part, do u mean [tex]\frac{1 - cos^2x}{cos^2x}[/tex]? Or the right hand-side?

i think that is what jai6638 meant, footprints

jai6638, you forgot that A*B / C = A/C * B and does not equal to A/C * B/C

if you can get to:
[tex] \frac{sin^2x(1-cos^2x)}{cos^2x}[/tex]

Distribute the sin in, and then break the fraction apart over addition

There's no reason to distribute, though. The basic identity that [itex]\sin^2x=1-cos^2x[/itex] can be applied to get:

[tex]\frac{\sin^2x*\sin^2x}{cos^2x}
&= \tan^2x\sin^2x[/tex]

ChanDdoi said:
i think that is what jai6638 meant, footprints

jai6638, you forgot that A*B / C = A/C * B and does not equal to A/C * B/C

lol... yeah that's what i was thinkin for some odd reason.. damn! thanks a lot ... need to start doing my trignometry again.. doing algebra II at my new school... sucks ass... my previous school was soo much better .. we did our trignometry in 9th grade ..

cheers

What is a Trigonometry identity?

A Trigonometry identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is a relationship between the trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc.

Why is it important to prove a Trigonometry identity?

Proving a Trigonometry identity helps us understand the fundamental properties and relationships between trigonometric functions. It also allows us to solve more complex trigonometric equations and problems.

What are the steps to proving a Trigonometry identity?

The steps to proving a Trigonometry identity include simplifying both sides of the equation, converting all trigonometric functions to sine and cosine, using trigonometric identities and properties, and manipulating the equation until both sides are equal.

How can I check my answer when proving a Trigonometry identity?

You can check your answer by plugging in different values for the variables into both sides of the equation and verifying that they result in the same value. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they overlap.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving a Trigonometry identity?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving a Trigonometry identity include using the wrong trigonometric identity, making careless errors while simplifying, and not showing all the steps in your solution. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure you have not made any algebraic mistakes.