Robotic Pointer: Accurate Pointing with Polar Coordinates and Stepper Motors

• Thread starter benzun_1999
  • Start date
In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is seeking help with their project involving a robotic pointer. They are attempting to use a structure with two rotating platforms to point at specific coordinates on an x,y plane. They are facing challenges with accurately turning the platforms by degrees and are considering using stepper motors to mechanize the process. They are also seeking advice on how to computerize the system and have already researched circuits and interfaces. The expert suggests using stepper motors or a servo motor technique for finer resolution and provides links to resources for further information. They also mention using gears or microstepper motors to achieve finer resolution and suggest using limit switches for linear stages. The speaker expresses gratitude for the assistance.
benzun_1999
help me! robotic ponter

hi all!
I am currnenty working on a robotic pointer that can point any point in a x, y coordinate plane. for this i am using a structure with two platforms one on another. the platform at the bottom is attached with the platform on top of it. while one platform rotates in the x-axis another rotates in the y axis. thus enabling me to get all points. the pointer must point using polar coordinates, that is using degrees. I am trying to mechanize and computerize this here i am suffering some problems.
1. how can i turn the platform by degrees accurately? (a small mistake and the point will not be marked properly) for trying to turn the platform should i use gears? if so what will be the best ratio to turn by .5 or 1 degrees?
2. can stepper motors help? My sir adviced me to use them but i have no proper idea how to implement them.
3. how can i computerize it? i am aware of using serial port for interface and have already gone through many circuits but without the above solved the rest is in vain.

Hope u will help and suggest me.
Thanks in advance for the help.

-Benzun

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would normally use stepper motors to move your platforms. You can use gearing or "micro-steps" to get finer resolution than the simple stepper can give you. Here are a couple links:

http://www.netmotion.com/htm_files/mc_motor_dmicro.htm (vendor of stepper motors)

http://www.ams2000.com/stepping101.html (stepper motor basics)

http://motion-controls.globalspec.com/Industrial-Directory/micro_stepper_motor (search on micro stepper motors)

You could also use a servo motor technique to get finer resolution, but that is more tricky to design and get stable. You should be able to get an interface card for your PC to drive the stepper motors from National Instruments or B&B Electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
...And here's a good pointer into a Photonics Spectra Magazine article and advertiser about controlling x-y tables:

http://www.photonics.com/spectra/newprods/XQ/ASP/newprodidp.7201/QX/read.htm

thanks

you cleared a lot of doubt and helped me. i am thankful to u. i already got circuits that can control stepper motors from pc. Does stepper motor have enough troque to turn the disc? I am aware of noraml DC motor but these stepper motors are completely new to me (i am not a electronics student). Moreover i believe these stepper motor are also found in the computer electronic component i believe.

even if i use stepper motor i believe i must use gears?

benzun_1999 said:
even if i use stepper motor i believe i must use gears?
That depends on the resolution that you want to get out of your system. A regular stepper motor has pretty coarse steps -- I think only a dozen or two per revolution. You have two choices if you need better resolution: gearing down, or using microstepper motors. The advantage of microsteppers is that you won't have the backlash that you get with a geared system when you change directions. The disadvantage is usually the cost of the microstepper motors, I think.

One thing that has worked well for me in the past for linear positioning is to use a regular stepper motor and have it drive a long screw shaft with fine threads. Then you have a shaft coupler thing (I forget the name -- it has threads on the inside and you connect the outside to the moving stage -- it's kind of like a big precision nut) that is what drives the moving stage. With fine enough threads you don't get much backlash. And you can even calibrate the backlash out by measuring it and keeping track of it when you change direction. You'll also want limit switches at the ends of your linear travel, to static the stepper motor when its linear stage makes it to the end of its travel.

I think you were focusing mainly on rotational stages, not linear stages, and gearing them down is harder usually. Microstepper motors would probably be the way for you to go. Again, just check the specifications for how many steps per revolution they can acheive, and compare that to the resolution that you hope to achieve. Good luck, -Mike-

thanks for ur help

What is a "Help me robotic pointer"?

A "Help me robotic pointer" is a small, robotic device designed to assist individuals in pointing or indicating objects or locations. It is typically used by people with limited mobility or physical disabilities.

How does a "Help me robotic pointer" work?

A "Help me robotic pointer" uses sensors and motors to detect and move towards the desired object or location. It can be controlled through a remote or programmed to respond to voice commands.

What are the benefits of using a "Help me robotic pointer"?

The main benefit of using a "Help me robotic pointer" is increased independence and mobility for individuals with physical disabilities. It can also help reduce strain and fatigue in the arms and hands for those who have difficulty pointing or reaching.

Are there different types of "Help me robotic pointers" available?

Yes, there are various types of "Help me robotic pointers" available, each with different features and capabilities. Some are designed for indoor use, while others are suitable for outdoor environments. Some may also have additional features such as voice control or object recognition.

Where can I purchase a "Help me robotic pointer"?

You can purchase a "Help me robotic pointer" from various online retailers or specialized stores that cater to assistive technology. It is also possible to find them through disability support organizations or clinics.