1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me select field for PhD: Control/Dynamics or PDE/Numerics

1. Control systems and Dynamics

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. computational partial differential equations/Applied math

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I like both control systems and dynamics, and numerical solutions of PDE's. And I am trying to decide which field to apply for to do a PhD in.

I am having hard time deciding. Just looking for advice from those who worked or studied any of the above to help me decide.

I seem to be leaning toward control systems and dynamics as it is more varied and interesting. But so is numerical solutions of PDE's.

For the control systems, I would be applying to Mechanical engineering dept most likely. For the PDE's, I would be applying to a Math dept.

I do not want to flip a coin on this. Any idea which you think is a better field to get in?

thank you
    Robert

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted