Help me solve this equation please -- Roller Coaster Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics exercise involving a sled with a mass of 100 kg descending a frictionless ramp. The question asks for the speed of the sled at a specific point, and the answer is determined through the application of conservation of energy, converting potential energy to kinetic energy. Online resources are provided for further understanding of the concept.
Purpleshinyrock
Poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
I need help understanding this exercise
Relevant Equations
dont know
Hello. Can someone tell me what area of phisics should I study to better understand this exercise( I ve been looking at kinematics since it asks for the velocity but I can't seem to find where it talks about different points like this) and also what should I do to solve this exercise please?
A sled with a mass equal to 100 kg departs from rest at point 1 ( h 1 = 12.2 m) and descends figure ramp, without friction.
Screenshot_2021-04-01 M23 - Fis_Qui_Aluno_int_ProvaModelo_vfinal pdf.png

What is the speed of the sled when it reaches point 3, at a height h 3 = 4.58m?

(Use g = 10.0 m ∙ s -2 ).

□ (A) v 3 = 6.77 m ∙ s -1

□ (B) v 3 = 8.73 m ∙ s -1

□ (C) v 3 = 12.35 m ∙ s -1

□ (D) v 3 = 15.62 m ∙ s -1

□ (E) v 3 = 152.40 m ∙ s -1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy

Likes Purpleshinyrock
pasmith said:
Conservation of energy
thank you Sir

What is the equation for roller coaster motion?

The equation for roller coaster motion is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

How do you solve a roller coaster motion equation?

To solve a roller coaster motion equation, you need to have values for the force, mass, and acceleration. You can then plug these values into the equation F = ma and solve for the unknown variable.

What factors affect the motion of a roller coaster?

The motion of a roller coaster is affected by several factors, including the force of gravity, the shape and design of the track, the mass and velocity of the coaster, and external forces such as air resistance and friction.

Can you use calculus to solve roller coaster motion equations?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve roller coaster motion equations. Calculus allows for the calculation of instantaneous values, which is necessary for analyzing the constantly changing motion of a roller coaster.

How can roller coaster motion equations be applied in real life?

Roller coaster motion equations can be applied in real life to design and analyze roller coasters, as well as to ensure the safety and efficiency of their operation. They can also be used in other fields such as physics and engineering to study the principles of motion and energy.