Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me solve this equation

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    If cats + dogs = lamb, what does dogs equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2
    Please simplify your answers as I'm finding this concept rather difficult to get my head around.

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3
    Surely you just move the cats to the other side of the equals sign. Right?

The Bob (2004 ©)

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a problem where every letter is assigned a digit? And thus this problem is the sum of two four digit numbers? Or is it something else entirely?

- Warren

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it is what chroot is suggesting it is, it looks hard to figure without using a computer. Making a few simple eliminations (O=0 or 9), reduces the number of possibilities to about 10^5 - notice that there are 10 different letters, so all the digits must be used. Hmmm...looks like a toughie.

Are you just making up a generic example off the top of your head, or is this the exact question from a book or homework ? If the former, there may be no solution at all, and even if there are solutions, they may not be paper-and-pencil-able.

Are you allowed to write a program ?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?