Minimum h for Car to Remain on Track Around Loop

In summary: The critical case is when the terrain is at its highest point, so you want h≥y(x) ∀x because that gives the critical value for h.In summary, the question asks for the minimum value of h required for a car with mass m to remain on a loop of radius r, starting from rest at a point h above the ground. The approach to solving this problem involves using the condition that the kinetic energy at the bottom of the loop must be greater than the potential energy at the top, and the centripetal force equation. However, two alternate approaches are presented and questioned, and the expert suggests that in order to find the minimum value of h that satisfies the condition for all values of theta, the critical case of
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

A car of mass m is initially stationary on a smooth track at distance h above the ground. What would be the minimum value of h required in order for the car to remain on the track throughout its journey around the loop of radius r?

Homework Equations

KE(bottom)>PE (top)
F=mv^/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this using the minimum velocty, sqrtgr, at the top and applying energy conservation. But I tried this using two other alternate approaches that didmn't yield the correct results:
1)KEbottom>PE(Top)= mv^2(.5)=mg(2r). This gives the minimum velocity as sqrt4gr. Although it should be sqrtgr according to centripetal force eq (mv^2/r=mg).
2) Second approach: I have attached the snap below of the solution.Now for h to be minimum, costheeta should be one. Why is it taken to be -1.

Kindly resolve both of these queries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 498
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:
This gives the minimum velocity as sqrt4gr.
Velcity where? You seem to have calculated the velocity at the bottom which corresponds to the PE at the top. But it is not stationary at the top.
Asad Raza said:
for h to be minimum, costheeta should be one.
Yes, but what you want is the minimum h which satisfies the condition for all theta, so you want the theta which maximises the demand on h.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Velcity where? You seem to have calculated the velocity at the bottom of the which corresponds to the PE at the top. But it is not stationary at the top.

Yes, but what you want is the minimum h which satisfies the condition for all theta, so you want the theta which maximises the demand on h.

1) I got you there. But why aren't we able to solve using the inequality that if the car completes the vertical circle, its speed is greater than sqrt4gr. The answer still doesn't turn out to be correct. Why is this the case?
2) I didn't get your point. Could you please simplify it or explain some other way?

Asad Raza said:
But why aren't we able to solve using the inequality that if the car completes the vertical circle, its speed is greater than sqrt4gr.
My difficulty here is that I do not understand your reasoning in post #1. Can you spell out it out in more detail please, being quite specific about the points in the process that you are calculating the velocities and energies for?
Asad Raza said:
2) I didn't get your point. Could you please simplify it or explain some other way?
It's late here... I'll try tomorrow.

Asad Raza said:
You have h≥r(1-(3/2)cos(θ)) as the condition for staying on the track as far θ. To stay on the track for the whole loop the condition has to be true for all θ. The range of cos(θ) is -1 to 1, so you need h≥r(1-(3/2)cos(θ)) ∀ cos(θ). The value of cos(θ) which maximises the right hand side is -1, so for the condition to be true ∀ cos(θ) that is the critical case that h needs to satisfy.

haruspex said:
You have h≥r(1-(3/2)cos(θ)) as the condition for staying on the track as far θ. To stay on the track for the whole loop the condition has to be true for all θ. The range of cos(θ) is -1 to 1, so you need h≥r(1-(3/2)cos(θ)) ∀ cos(θ). The value of cos(θ) which maximises the right hand side is -1, so for the condition to be true ∀ cos(θ) that is the critical case that h needs to satisfy.
That is my question. We need the minimum h, why are we maximizing the RHS?

Asad Raza said:
We need the minimum h
Yes, but it is the minimum h which satisfies a certain condition. That condition is that it exceeds the RHS for all possible values of θ. That is quite different from finding the minimum value of h which exceeds the RHS for some value of θ.
Think about an analogy. An aircraft is to fly a level course over a mountain range. The height of the terrain can be expressed as y=y(x), where x is the horizontal distance. If the aircraft is to fly at height h then you want h≥y(x) ∀x. It is not enough that h≥y(x) for some x.

1. What is the minimum h for a car to remain on track around a loop?

The minimum h for a car to remain on track around a loop depends on several factors such as the weight of the car, the radius of the loop, and the speed of the car. It is generally recommended to have a minimum h of at least 0.5 meters for a car to safely navigate a loop.

2. How does the weight of the car affect the minimum h for it to remain on track?

The weight of the car plays a significant role in determining the minimum h for it to remain on track around a loop. Heavier cars have a higher inertia, which means they require a larger h to overcome the centrifugal force and remain on track. Lighter cars, on the other hand, can navigate a loop with a smaller h.

3. Is there a maximum h for a car to remain on track around a loop?

There is no set maximum h for a car to remain on track around a loop. However, having an excessively large h can result in a slower ride and potential loss of control. It is important to find the right balance between h, speed, and radius of the loop to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride.

4. How does the speed of the car affect the minimum h required?

The speed of the car has a direct impact on the minimum h required to remain on track around a loop. As the speed increases, so does the centrifugal force acting on the car. This requires a larger h to counteract the force and prevent the car from slipping off the track. It is important to consider the speed of the car when determining the minimum h for a loop.

5. Can the radius of the loop affect the minimum h for a car to remain on track?

Yes, the radius of the loop plays a crucial role in determining the minimum h for a car to remain on track. A smaller radius requires a smaller h to counteract the centrifugal force, while a larger radius may require a larger h. It is important to consider the radius of the loop when determining the minimum h for a car to safely navigate the loop.