Help me! somebody explain this to me!(Gauss's Law)

• Thread starter nutzweb
  • Start date
i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?

Answers and Replies

1) Shielding.. look into this.

2) Yes, of course. Since there is no net charge inside the cavity, Gauss' law says there cannot be an electric field.

1) This phenomenon is known as " Electrostatic Shielding' as per which the charge(s) inside a conductor are shielded from outside electric influences.The consequences include:

i)Electric Field Vector on the surface of the conductor is always prependicular to the surface

ii) The net field inside a conductor is zero.

iii) Because the charges on a conductor rest on the surface, there are no charges in the cavity inside the conductor and hence no electric field as per Gauss Law.

BJ

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
nutzweb said:
i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?
Please do not multiple post!

Zz.