1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me! somebody explain this to me!(Gauss's Law)

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2
    1) Shielding.. look into this.

2) Yes, of course. Since there is no net charge inside the cavity, Gauss' law says there cannot be an electric field.
  4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    1) This phenomenon is known as " Electrostatic Shielding' as per which the charge(s) inside a conductor are shielded from outside electric influences.The consequences include:

i)Electric Field Vector on the surface of the conductor is always prependicular to the surface

ii) The net field inside a conductor is zero.

iii) Because the charges on a conductor rest on the surface, there are no charges in the cavity inside the conductor and hence no electric field as per Gauss Law.

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please do not multiple post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?