Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help me! somebody explain this to me!(Gauss's Law)

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2
    1) Shielding.. look into this.

2) Yes, of course. Since there is no net charge inside the cavity, Gauss' law says there cannot be an electric field.

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    1) This phenomenon is known as " Electrostatic Shielding' as per which the charge(s) inside a conductor are shielded from outside electric influences.The consequences include:

i)Electric Field Vector on the surface of the conductor is always prependicular to the surface

ii) The net field inside a conductor is zero.

iii) Because the charges on a conductor rest on the surface, there are no charges in the cavity inside the conductor and hence no electric field as per Gauss Law.

BJ

5. Jul 12, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please do not multiple post!

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook