Help me somebody explain this to me(Gauss's Law)

In summary, the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero include perpendicular field vectors on the surface, no net field inside the conductor, and no field inside the cavity due to Gauss' law. This implies that a person inside an automobile is safe from electric influences during a thunderstorm. Additionally, the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor is zero because there is no net charge inside, according to Gauss' law. This phenomenon is known as "Electrostatic Shielding."
nutzweb
i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Shielding.. look into this.

2) Yes, of course. Since there is no net charge inside the cavity, Gauss' law says there cannot be an electric field.

1) This phenomenon is known as " Electrostatic Shielding' as per which the charge(s) inside a conductor are shielded from outside electric influences.The consequences include:

i)Electric Field Vector on the surface of the conductor is always prependicular to the surface

ii) The net field inside a conductor is zero.

iii) Because the charges on a conductor rest on the surface, there are no charges in the cavity inside the conductor and hence no electric field as per Gauss Law.

BJ

nutzweb said:
i have a couple of questions and evryone can answer and explain it to me..

1. what are the practical consequences of the observation that the electric field inside a hollow conductor is zero regardless of how much electric charge is placed on its outer surface? what does this imply regarding the safety of a person inside an automobile in a thunderstorm?

2. is the electric field inside an empty cavity in a conductor zero? Why or why not?

Please do not multiple post!

Zz.

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism, named after the German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss. It relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge. In simpler terms, it explains how electric charges create electric fields.

2. How is Gauss's Law used?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field around a charged object or a group of charged objects. It can also be used to determine the total electric charge enclosed within a closed surface by measuring the electric flux through that surface.

3. What is the mathematical formula for Gauss's Law?

The mathematical representation of Gauss's Law is ΦE = Q/ε0, where ΦE is the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the enclosed electric charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. What are the units of Gauss's Law?

The units of Gauss's Law depend on the units used for electric flux, electric charge, and permittivity. In the SI system, the units for electric flux are Nm²/C, for electric charge are C, and for permittivity are C²/Nm². Therefore, the units of Gauss's Law are N/C or V/m.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law has various applications in everyday life, such as in the design of electronic devices, the understanding of lightning and thunderstorms, and the development of medical equipment like MRI machines. It is also used in the study of atmospheric electricity, the design of antennas, and the analysis of electric circuits.