Help me to demonstrate and explain: Vrs=r∇s+s∇r and ∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v)

• Thread starter mark_usc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help to understand the expressions Vrs=r∇s+s∇r and ∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v), which are important in transport phenomena and fluid mechanics. The person also asks for recommendations for web references to learn more about the demonstrations. The expert provides a summary of how to obtain the expressions using the product rule for derivatives.
mark_usc

Dear all:

Please help me to know how these expressions are obtained. Please recommendme some web reference to search more about the demonstrations.

Vrs=r∇s+s∇r

∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v)

This expressions are very important in transport phenomena and fluid mechanics.

With all the best

Marco Uscanga

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you write "V" in two places? Did you mean ∇? Are r and s scalar fields, and v a vector field? You should explain these things when you ask for help. Is "S" a typo?

##\nabla (rs)## is a vector whose ith component is ##\partial_i(rs)##. Use the product rule for derivatives.

##\nabla\cdot (sv)=\sum_i\partial_i(sv)_i =\sum_i\partial_i(sv_i)##. Now use the product rule again.

it seems good to me. Thanks a lot

Marco Uscanga

1. What does the equation Vrs=r∇s+s∇r represent?

The first equation, Vrs=r∇s+s∇r, is known as the vector product rule and represents the cross product between two vectors, r and s.

2. How is the cross product calculated using Vrs=r∇s+s∇r?

The cross product between two vectors, r and s, is calculated by taking the product of the first vector, r, with the gradient of the second vector, ∇s, and adding it to the product of the second vector, s, with the gradient of the first vector, ∇r.

3. Can you give an example of how to use Vrs=r∇s+s∇r?

One example of using the vector product rule is in calculating the torque, or turning force, on a rotating object. The torque vector can be found by taking the cross product of the position vector from the axis of rotation to a point on the object, with the force vector acting on that point.

4. What does the equation ∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v) represent?

The second equation, ∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v), is known as the dot product rule and represents the dot product between a scalar, s, and a vector, v.

5. How is the dot product calculated using ∇.sv=(VS.v)+s(∇.v)?

The dot product between a scalar, s, and a vector, v, is calculated by taking the product of the scalar, s, with the divergence of the vector, ∇.v, and adding it to the product of the vector, v, with the scalar gradient, VS.