Help with Steps 1 & 2 of Math Problem

• Thread starter Lisa...
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia for a U-shaped object by treating it as three separate masses. The key to solving the problem is to treat the horizontal rod as a point mass and not include it in the rotation calculations.
Lisa...
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Treat the U-shaped piece as consisting of three thin rods. For calculating the center of mass, treat them as three separates masses (located at the centers of the three rods).

I have tried treating the U-shaped piece as consisting of three rods but this gives me:

Itotal= 2 I10 cm + I 6 cm =

2 (1/3) (20*10*10-3) 0.12+ (1/3) (20*6*10-3) 0.62

A rod has a moment of inertia of 1/3 ML2... but this gives me the wrong answer!

Last edited:
Lisa... said:
I have tried treating the U-shaped piece as consisting of three rods but this gives me:

Itotal= 2 I6 cm + I 10 cm =

2 (1/3) (20*6*10-3) 0.62+ (1/3) (20*10*10-3) 0.12

A rod has a moment of inertia of 1/3 ML2... but this gives me the wrong answer!
Two problems:

(1) Your teacher is assuming that the "vertical" rods are 10cm long, and the horizontal "bottom" piece is 6cm long.

(2) While the two vertical rods are being rotated about one end, the horizontal rod is not. Treat that one as just a point mass (as far as rotation is concerned).

Okay great! Now I understand the whole thing :) Thank you VERY much Doc Al! The trick was the second point you've mentioned, I need to remember that :)

1. How do I approach a math problem?

The first step in approaching a math problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, create a plan or strategy for solving the problem, such as using a formula or breaking the problem into smaller parts.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving math problems?

Common mistakes to avoid include misreading the problem, not checking your work, and not showing all of your work. It is also important to double check your calculations and ensure you are using the correct order of operations.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills. Make sure to regularly solve math problems and seek out challenging problems to push yourself. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to learn new problem-solving techniques.

4. What resources are available to help with steps 1 & 2 of math problems?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your teacher or professor may also be able to provide additional guidance and support.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

One way to check your answer is to plug it back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. You can also use a calculator or ask a friend or teacher to double check your work. Additionally, many textbooks and online resources have answer keys for practice problems.