Help me Understand an Electrolysis Reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with mastering chemistry regarding the formatting and charge of the metal reaction. The person is questioning their understanding and seeking confirmation for their thought process.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
mastchem_zpsb318b869.jpg

Okay, so that is the master.chem problem that I am struggling with.

I feel I understand what's going on... Nickle is the anode that should be losing two electrons. What am I doing wrong according to mastering chemistry?

I feel this is an issue with how I am writing things? Or am I missing the point here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I see nothing wrong about your logic.

Likes RJLiberator
Damn, is it possible that I am messing up the states of the metal? =/

No, states look OK as well.

Just occurred to me - why do you assume M to be divalent?

Likes RJLiberator
That's a very good point. However, when I do M^n+ + ne^- --> M(s)

it gives me the response of:

"
Incorrect; Try Again; 4 attempts remaining; no points deducted
Term 2: There is an error in your submission. Make sure you have formatted it properly.
"

Sorry, can't help you with the mastering chemistry - all I know is that people hate its quirks when it comes to input formatting.

M^n+(aq)? M^{n+}? M^{n+}(aq)? Space after comma? Just M^+?

Is there some other information given that could help decide about Mn+ charge?

Wow, how lame - what they wanted as the metal reaction to be defined as Ni^2++2e^--->Ni instead of as Metal.

I have no idea how that works out, but whatever.

Thank you very much for confirming my thought process. Cheers.

1. What is an electrolysis reaction?

An electrolysis reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the use of electricity to break down a compound into its constituent elements. This process is commonly used to extract metals from their ores, purify metals, and produce gases such as hydrogen and oxygen.

2. How does an electrolysis reaction work?

During an electrolysis reaction, an electric current is passed through an electrolyte solution or molten compound. The electric current causes the ions in the solution or compound to move towards the electrodes, where they undergo chemical reactions to form new substances.

3. What is the purpose of an electrolysis reaction?

The purpose of an electrolysis reaction is to either extract a desired element from a compound or to produce a new substance that is more useful than the original compound. It is also used to purify metals and produce gases for industrial and scientific purposes.

4. What are the key components of an electrolysis reaction?

The key components of an electrolysis reaction are the electrolyte solution or molten compound, the electrodes, and an external power source. The electrodes are usually made of a conductive material such as graphite or metal and are connected to the power source to allow the flow of electricity.

5. What factors affect the rate of an electrolysis reaction?

The rate of an electrolysis reaction is affected by several factors, including the concentration of the electrolyte solution, the surface area of the electrodes, and the strength of the electric current. Temperature can also play a role in increasing or decreasing the rate of the reaction.