1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand the derivation of the quadrapole expansion of charge distribution.

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    [tex]V=\frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \frac {\rho(\vec r\;')}{\eta} \;d\;\tau'\;\hbox{ where }\; \vec{\eta} = \vec r - \vec r\;'[/tex]

[itex]\vec r\;[/itex] is the position vector of the field point and [itex]\;\vec r\;'\;[/itex] is the position vector of the source point.

Using multiple expansion, the quadrapole term of potential

[tex]V_{QUAD} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2r^3}\int(r\;')^n(3\;cos^2\theta'-1)\rho(\vec r\;')d\tau'[/tex]

The book go on to derive [itex]V_{QUAD}[/itex] into coordinate free equation and I am lost. Please explain to me how the steps work:

The book claimed

[tex]V_{QUAD}= \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2\; r^3} \sum ^{3}_{i,j=1}\left [ \hat r_i \hat r_j \int[3r'_i r'_j -(r')^2\delta_{ij}]\rho(\vec r\;')d\;\tau'\right ]\;=\;\frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {2\; r^3} \left [ 3 \sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i \sum^3_{j=1} \sum^3_{j=1} \;=\; (r')^2\sum_{ij}\hat r_i\hat r_j \delta_{ij}\right]\rho(\vec r') \;d \;\tau'[/tex]

[tex]\hbox{ Where }\; \delta _{ij} = \; \begin{array}{cc} 1 & i=j \\ 0 & i \neq j \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]\sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i =\hat r \cdot \vec r\;' = r'cos\theta' = \sum ^{3}_{j=1} \hat r_j r'_j \;\hbox{ and }\;\sum_{i,j} \hat r_i \hat r_j \delta_{ij} = \sum \hat r_j \hat r_j = \hat r \cdot \hat r =1 [/tex]

Can anyone explain:
    [tex]\sum ^{3}_{i=1} \hat r_i r'_i =\hat r \cdot \vec r\;' = r'cos\theta' = \sum ^{3}_{j=1} \hat r_j r'_j[/tex]

and

[tex] \sum \hat r_j \hat r_j = \hat r \cdot \hat r =1 [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Help me understand the derivation of the quadrapole expansion of charge distribut

The first is just the definition of the dot product. i.e.:

[tex]\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B}=A_1B_1+A_2B_2+A_3B_3=\sum_{i=1}^3A_iB_i=ABcos\theta[/tex]

The components are just numbered instead of lettered. A_1=A_x, and so on.

The second is just the dot product of a unit vector with itself. By definition, that is 1.

4. Jun 15, 2011 #3
    Re: Help me understand the derivation of the quadrapole expansion of charge distribut

Thanks for your time.

Is that just mean both A and B are 3 space vector? Just that simple?!!! And they have to use the [itex]\sum_1^3[/itex] to confuse me?!!!

5. Jun 15, 2011 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's it. The point is that this notation is "coordinate free." It doesn't matter how you define your three orthogonal axes, the expression for the quadrupole potential in coordinate free notation will always look like this.

Using summation notation in this case, is just shorthand.

The Kroneker delta, [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] just means that when i and j are not equal, that term does not contribute, since [itex]\delta_{ij}=0[/itex] for [itex]i\not=j[/itex] and [itex]\delta_{ij}=1[/itex] for [itex]i=j[/itex].

6. Jun 16, 2011 #5

Thanks

I understand

[tex]\sum^3_{i=1}\vec r_i \vec r'_i = \vec r \cdot \vec r\;'[/tex]

What is [tex]\sum ^3_{i,j=1} \hat r_i \hat r_j [/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook