Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this proof

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    I've scanned a page out of my textbook and highlighted the portion of the proof I don't quite follow. I've been staring at this on and off for a day and for some reason it just doesn't click why the argument shows that R is uniquely determined by W. I see the author is proving an implication and it's converse, but I can't tie it together. I'd appreciate it if anyone could break it down for me a little more. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question, if anyone fancies answering it is this:

Given a subspace W, and some basis of W then why is the corresponding reduced row echelon matrix R unique.
  4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    row reduced matrix of what? the matrix of the basis?
  5. Oct 16, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What else? You could have looked at the attachment, as well.
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5
    because the column(basis) vectors are linearly independent
  7. Oct 20, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

given a system of equations, they define a linear subspace which can be viewed as the graph of a linear function on the unique subspace of coordinates furthest possible to the right, which is an isomorphic projection of the solution subspace.

the non trivial entries of the reduced echelon form are the equations for the function defined by this graph, hence are unique.

i don't expect everyone to understand this but some will.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?