1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this Solution:

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    It is a case of simplifying this expression:

a^2 - ab / ab

The solution given in a textbook is:

a - b / b

I observe that for the one "a" that was canceled below, two "a's" were canceled above in this simplification.

Why would the solution not be: a^2 - b / b? I would like to know what happened to the a in a^2 if the textbook answer is the correct answer.

I am also having problems simplifying this expression: 3y^2 - 27 / 12y^2 + 36y
    I have tried factorizing to find common factors that cancel each other out but have not had any success.... I know what the solution is but I would like to know how to get there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, only one a was canceled in both numerator and denominator. Remember that you can only cancel things that are multiplied. You are thinking
    "Okay, I will cancel the last a in a2- ab with the a in the denominator and get (a2-b)/b."

but you can't do that: the second a is not a factor. What you need to do is first factor a2- ab= a(a- b). NOW you can cancel:
    [tex]\frac{a^2- ab}{ab}= \frac{a(a-b)}{ab}= \frac{a- b}{b}[/tex]
    where you have canceled the a multiplying (a- b) in the numerator with the a multiplying b in the denominator.

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Bardagath! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I suspect you're having vision problems … you can't take in the whole top line in one go.

Just split it into two fractions, then factor it …

(a^2)/b - ab/b = … ? :smile:
    With ordinary fractions (just numbers), if asked to simplify 21/4, you might say [tex]5\frac{1}{4}\,.[/tex]

5 is the "whole" multiple, and 1 is the remainder.

With polynomial fractions, you do the same … for example, (3x + 11)/(x + 2) = 3 + 5/(x + 2).

3 is the "whole" multiple, and 5 is the remainder.

The remainder can be a number, as 5 above, or it can be a polynomial (of lesser degree than the denominator. of course!) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook