Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this.

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of months ago my stepson was involved in an accident (he is fine, car totaled). In the back of his car was about a half case of pop, since he was hit in a rear quarter panel, this pop was treated rather harshly. Some of the cans exploded, others were severely dented. After cleaning out his car he put the remaining cans of pop in our garage. This morning my wife was cleaning out the garage and found the still sticky dented cans. A couple of them felt distinctly light, we popped the can, finding about 8oz of pop in a dented 12oz can. Note that the pop was still well carbonated, it popped when we opened it, and was noticeably bubbly in the measuring cup. No we did not drink it!

Here's the question, how did 4oz of pop get out of the can? If it leaked how did it not lose carbonation????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    That seems odd. I have come accross "light" cans before but they usually seem to have been unsealed somehow. I am sure that it can happen during pakaging though. What brand was the pop?

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it was a small enough leak that the sugars resealed the can before enough leaked out, especially if it was in a sticky puddle?

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is along the lines of what we are thinking. Though it has not been sitting in a puddle. To preserve the carbonation it would have to seal from the inside. I could not find any sign of a leak.

It is some version of Mountain Dew (Red)

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5
    http://ask.metafilter.com/27765/How-could-a-Coke-can-leak-its-contents-without-any-apparent-holes

Here are some stories of mysteriously leaking cans.
    I am assuming that if some of the cans exploded then all of them likely had residue (and were cleaned off?). Maybe the cans did leak under high pressure after the jostle and regained seal integrity when the pressure abated. If they were soiled by the exploding cans that would cover up any evidence of a leak from these cans.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook