Exploring Scalar Function F: Understanding the Use of dF and Pythagorean Theorem

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the identity dF = \nablaF \bullet dr in the context of a scalar function F and the interpretation of the term dF as an infinitesimal change in the function with respect to the coordinates x, y, and z. It is explained that dF is the difference in F between two points in space and is not a vector, and that the use of length is not applicable in this context.
aaaa202
My teacher often writes for a scalar function F:

dF = [itex]\nabla[/itex]F [itex]\bullet[/itex] dr

Why is it you are allowed to do this. Shouldn't you use the pythagorean theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
My teacher often writes for a scalar function F:

dF = [itex]\nabla[/itex]F [itex]\bullet[/itex] dr

Why is it you are allowed to do this. Shouldn't you use the pythagorean theorem?

Hi aaaa202! :smile:

It's an identity that follows from the definition of the derivative of a function of multiple coordinates.
Consider that the total derivative is:
$$dF = {\partial F \over \partial x}dx + {\partial F \over \partial y}dy + {\partial F \over \partial z}dz$$
And the right hand side is:
$$\nabla F \cdot d\mathbf{r} = \begin{bmatrix}{\partial F \over \partial x}\\{\partial F \over \partial y}\\{\partial F \over \partial x}\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}dx\\dy\\dz\end{bmatrix} = {\partial F \over \partial x}dx + {\partial F \over \partial y}dy + {\partial F \over \partial z}dz$$

I guess you could say that he pythagorean theorem is not involved because any application of it cancels left and right in the identity.

hmm yes I kinda got this already, but I'm just unsure how to interpret the term:

dF = dF/dx * dx + dF/dy * dy + dF/dz *dz

What does this infinitesimal bit of represent? Surely its not a vector, since the result is a scalar. Surely it can't be an infinitesimal part of its length either, since dF =√(dFx^2 + dFy^2 + dFz^2)
So what does it mean this dF?

aaaa202 said:
hmm yes I kinda got this already, but I'm just unsure how to interpret the term:

dF = dF/dx * dx + dF/dy * dy + dF/dz *dz

What does this infinitesimal bit of represent? Surely its not a vector, since the result is a scalar. Surely it can't be an infinitesimal part of its length either, since dF =√(dFx^2 + dFy^2 + dFz^2)
So what does it mean this dF?

You can interpret infinitesimals as small delta's.

dF is the change in F(x,y,z) if you change the coordinates by (dx,dy,dz) to F(x+dx,y+dy,z+dz).
You can write this as: dF=F(x+dx,y+dy,z+dz)-F(x,y,z).
This is the (scalar) difference in F between 2 points in space.
As such dF =√(dFx^2 + dFy^2 + dFz^2) does not apply, since it is not a vector.

Okay yes, but I just don't find the idea of adding up the changes of the function in respectfully the x-, y- and x- direction very interesting.
So far I've seen it used, but rather length has been used (or maybe I'm wrong) - for instance in continuity considerations you require that f(x,y) is well defined inside the cirfumference of an infinitesimal circle.

What does "Help me understand this" mean?

When someone says "help me understand this," they are asking for clarification or explanation on a concept or idea that they are having difficulty comprehending.

Why is it important to say "help me understand this" when learning?

Asking for help is an important part of the learning process. It shows that you are actively seeking knowledge and are open to receiving assistance in understanding a concept.

How do I effectively use "help me understand this" when working with others?

When working with others, it is important to use "help me understand this" in a respectful and open-minded manner. This can create a collaborative learning environment where everyone can learn from each other.

What are some alternative ways to ask for help in understanding something?

Some alternative ways to ask for help in understanding something include: "Can you explain this to me?" "I'm having trouble understanding, could you please clarify?" "I'm not sure I follow, could you break it down for me?"

Can saying "help me understand this" improve critical thinking skills?

Yes, saying "help me understand this" can improve critical thinking skills because it encourages individuals to actively engage with the material and ask questions in order to gain a deeper understanding.