1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand this:

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    My teacher often writes for a scalar function F:

dF = [itex]\nabla[/itex]F [itex]\bullet[/itex] dr

Why is it you are allowed to do this. Shouldn't you use the pythagorean theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi aaaa202! :smile:

It's an identity that follows from the definition of the derivative of a function of multiple coordinates.
    Consider that the total derivative is:
    $$dF = {\partial F \over \partial x}dx + {\partial F \over \partial y}dy + {\partial F \over \partial z}dz$$
    And the right hand side is:
    $$\nabla F \cdot d\mathbf{r} = \begin{bmatrix}{\partial F \over \partial x}\\{\partial F \over \partial y}\\{\partial F \over \partial x}\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}dx\\dy\\dz\end{bmatrix} = {\partial F \over \partial x}dx + {\partial F \over \partial y}dy + {\partial F \over \partial z}dz$$

I guess you could say that he pythagorean theorem is not involved because any application of it cancels left and right in the identity.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    hmm yes I kinda got this already, but I'm just unsure how to interpret the term:

dF = dF/dx * dx + dF/dy * dy + dF/dz *dz

What does this infinitesimal bit of represent? Surely its not a vector, since the result is a scalar. Surely it can't be an infinitesimal part of its length either, since dF =√(dFx^2 + dFy^2 + dFz^2)
    So what does it mean this dF?

5. Feb 27, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

You can interpret infinitesimals as small delta's.

dF is the change in F(x,y,z) if you change the coordinates by (dx,dy,dz) to F(x+dx,y+dy,z+dz).
    You can write this as: dF=F(x+dx,y+dy,z+dz)-F(x,y,z).
    This is the (scalar) difference in F between 2 points in space.
    As such dF =√(dFx^2 + dFy^2 + dFz^2) does not apply, since it is not a vector.

6. Feb 27, 2012 #5
    Okay yes, but I just don't find the idea of adding up the changes of the function in respectfully the x-, y- and x- direction very interesting.
    So far I've seen it used, but rather length has been used (or maybe I'm wrong) - for instance in continuity considerations you require that f(x,y) is well defined inside the cirfumference of an infinitesimal circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook