Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me understand transformer vector groups

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have problems understanding why, for example, a Yd1 connection introduces a -30 degree phase shift, see image below.

How should I think when I want to produce vector groups like that, and derive myself what the phase shift should be?

Thanks..
    Yd1.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2016 #2
    First - just consider the actual phase angle of C1-A1 relative to N-A1 - there will be a 30deg Shift there. So it is not really any magic in the transformer - each winding Primary and Secondary are aligned to the same phase angle.

If you keep the vectors properly aligned - you will see... for example in the bottom Delta configuration, c1-a1 vector should be vertical because it is in the same phase as N-A1 above.
    Now using the same Vector angle for N-B1 and N-B2 - connect the "tail" of a1-b1 to the head of the c1-a1, and then the same for b1-c1 - this should close the triangle of the delta.

I proper transformer nameplate will maintain this same arrangement. EXAMPLE

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3
    As windadct said A1_N is same phase as a1_4 , B1_N is same phase as b1_5, C1_N is same phase as c1_6 since the same magnetic flux will pass through both windings.
    The connection will be as per attached sketch- for Yd11 : 5 with a1 ,6 with b1 and 4 with c1 and
    for Yd1 a1_6, b1_4, c1_5.
    The convention states an imaginary neutral point in the intersection of all three medians of the equilateral triangle , and an imaginary voltage to this neutral from each point of triangle. The a1 to neutral n is the first phase and the angle from HV A1_N is the considered angle which divided by 30 degrees gets the symbol of the connection[in Yd11 case 330/30=11].
    You may find in IEC 60076-1 Annex D all the connections.
    upload_2016-10-13_21-31-35.png
    upload_2016-10-13_21-32-10.png

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4
    Very nice explanation, thanks, both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted