Advice on How to Make a Move with a Friend

• Thread starter desibrij_1785
  • Start date
In summary: When the conversation goes a little dry, just pop-in with "Give me your hand." She does. You tell her that her big line crossing her palm is a river. She is on one side of the river and this thing that she wants is on the other side (you can put in whatever is relevant as "this thing that she wants "). Then you make her guess how she goes from one side to the other. She tries.. she gives silly suggestions and finally when she really gives up and ask you what the solution is, just reply with "I have no idea... I just wanted to hold you hand!" Ah! If she hits you on the shoulder of "insult" you (ex: you're mean!), then it
quasar987 said:
I've been pondering on the reasons why girls usually don't approach guys first. Here's what I think: when a man sees a beautiful woman, he knows he wants her because she's hot. In other words, for guys, its a female's body that's the main cause of attraction. On the other hand, it's a man's personality that's the main attraction factor for women. So just by looking at a guy, unless he's Stanley Kowalski-sexy, they don't feel a strong attraction. Now these are the biological reasons and based only on looks. Add to that the social reason, i.e. the fact that it's socially expected of men to approach girls and not the other way around.

Girls, is this accurate reasoning? Do you sometimes feel like approaching a guy but don't do it because of your social programming and just sit there desperately hoping he'll make a move?

I disagree. Girls are just as if not more shallow than guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jin314159 said:
I disagree. Girls are just as if not more shallow than guys.
I checked dictionary.com but none of their definition seem to match your use of the word shallow. Except maybe this one

1. Measuring little from bottom to top or surface; lacking physical depth.

Anyway, what do you mean? That they are as interested in looks as guys are?

Btw Zeteg, your dominance theory is interesting. There is certainly some truth to it.

Moonbear, have you lived that scenario yet or has it been marinating in your head since you were 6 years old? :wink:

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
Moonbear, have you lived that scenario yet or has it been marinating in your head since you were 6 years old? :wink:

LOL! [Nostalgic mood]Oh, I've lived it, except it was 3 white roses, one for each day he'd known me before our first date, and white because that was the color dress I was wearing the first time he saw me. I think I fell in love instantly. He's my great one that got away.[/nostalgic mood]

But, I agree with you to some extent qasar. I can't speak for all women, but at least for me, I don't notice men for their looks, I get hooked on how they act and what they say, so if they don't sit down next to me and start talking, I don't know if they have any brain in that head of theirs.

I've learned that as much as men say they wish women would ask them out more to take off the pressure, when women do ask men out, it seems to bruise their male egos. So, instead we all but club you over the head with hints that we want you to ask us out.

On the other hand, good relationships sometimes just happen. Neither person does the asking, you just sense that there's an attraction pulling you together and somehow just wind up dating and nobody remembers how it started.

jimmy p said:
Sometimes it backfires. Last night I was drunk with the girl I liked and I told her that I liked her and she said that she had never thought of me like that, cos I have always been, well, me. Some compliment huh?

Sorry to hear that jimmy. I don't want to hold out false hope, but maybe it will put the bug in her head to get her thinking of you as the "liking" sort. :wink: Then again, I can sympathize with that one. I used to have a great knack for being the "little sister" or "one of the guys." The most crushing moment was way back in high school. I had this HUGE crush on one of my guy friends. So, one day he sort of pulls me out of the crowd in the hallway and wants to ask me something, and I thought he was about to ask me out, and instead, he winds up telling me, "I really like W and want to ask her out, what do you think I should say?" :cry: Well, I paraphrased a bit, but you get the point. He never saw me as anything more than a sister. I eventually got over it.

Moonbear said:
Sorry to hear that jimmy. I don't want to hold out false hope, but maybe it will put the bug in her head to get her thinking of you as the "liking" sort. :wink: Then again, I can sympathize with that one. I used to have a great knack for being the "little sister" or "one of the guys." The most crushing moment was way back in high school. I had this HUGE crush on one of my guy friends. So, one day he sort of pulls me out of the crowd in the hallway and wants to ask me something, and I thought he was about to ask me out, and instead, he winds up telling me, "I really like W and want to ask her out, what do you think I should say?" :cry: Well, I paraphrased a bit, but you get the point. He never saw me as anything more than a sister. I eventually got over it.

Lol. That is the story of my love life. :laughing:

Thanks moonbear... your advice worked... i did exactly what u said... i even got the goodnight kiss... if you have any further advice... let me know

This chat session was very helpful and fun... All you people who tried to help me thank u very much. If you ever need **** email me at bpatel48@uiuc.edu

desibrij_1785 said:
Thanks moonbear... your advice worked... i did exactly what u said... i even got the goodnight kiss... if you have any further advice... let me know

Woo hoo! See, us women can never resist that sort of date :biggrin: So glad to hear it went well!

Can I get a medal for relationship expert too? I'm really good at helping other people out, just can't get my own right :rofl:

Hmm, I actually need a bit of help, pertaining to girls at the current moment. It's not that I want her, but rather make sure that she's okay. What happened was that she used to go out with a guy 3 years older than her, and she's 15 right now. Anyway, the guy is a moron who can't put together a proper sentence, much less pass school. He got her to steal a few times, drink and smoke like crazy. She broke up with him 'cause he moved with his family, but he just moved back. One of the people she trusts the most is the best friend of her ex. He's not exactly the best influence either.

I only met her about a month ago, so she doesn't exactly trust me opinions and advice too much.

My question is... what would be the best way to destroy her trust in her friend, and make her hate her ex? I realize that I should interfere with people's lives, but I guess some people need to be turned into the proper direction, before they can make their own choices to a full extent. Any help please? =)

Zeteg said:
My question is... what would be the best way to destroy her trust in her friend, and make her hate her ex? I realize that I should interfere with people's lives, but I guess some people need to be turned into the proper direction, before they can make their own choices to a full extent. Any help please? =)

I don't think you should interfere. If you try, she'll end up hating you, and that will only make her trust her ex and friend even more.

Hopefully she'll work it out on her own. :frown:

Zeteg, amwbonfire is, unfortunately, right. Interferring in that way will only make her resent you for trying to break them up. She's either going to have to come around on her own or learn the hard way what she's gotten herself into with that guy. The best thing you can do is to just be there. When someone is that bad of an influence, often the person dating them starts to get isolated because their other friends just won't hang out with them anymore with that less than desirable company. The more isolated they get, the harder for them to get out. So, just be there if she needs someone to talk to. Let her confide in you, even if it's hard to listen to. As she gets more comfortable telling you stuff, you can then start to drop small comments that it doesn't sound like a good situation, you're worried about her with all the smoking, isn't she worried she'll get caught stealing and wind up in jail? Never say anything about the guy convincing her to do this, she needs to decide to get rid of him herself. And don't barrage her with all those comments at once, just one here and there in conversation. You don't want her to get defensive, just let them slowly sink in. Then offer that you're there for her. You can back it up with something concrete, like if she wants to quit smoking, you'll help her get through the withdrawal part, you don't mind if she gets irritable, she can vent on you, or you'll take her out to get lots of gum to chew or whatever will help. This way, she'll learn she can trust you to help her out on things that are more minor, and hopefully will feel comfortable talking to you when she outgrows the boyfriend. But, if this is just the direction she wants her life to go, you may not be able to do anything for her. It's tough to watch.

It's just so hard to let go, and let them make their decisions... I've known two others that have ended up depressed and near suicidal, and this incident is almost an exact reincarnation of previous ones.

Oh, and when I said smoke, I didn't really mean cigs. She used to smoke marijuana when she was with him. After they broke up, she stopped apparently. I'm afraid she'll go back in, if they get back together.

I can't put to words... how I'm feeling at the moment. It's like I'm at the brink of sanity... just at that point where you're holding yourself back from snapping.

If you really think that just being there will help... then I guess that's what I'll do. I haven't thought of anything better to do, that won't make her hate me. It's pretty silly how people can make such bad decisions and not realize it... How close would you suggest I stay?

Does she also know the two people who wound up near suicidal? If so, maybe that could help this situation. You could talk to her about them, maybe help her see she's headed down the same path.

Do her parents know about this boyfriend and what she does with him? Do they care? They might be better able to intervene if they are informed what's going on. Or maybe you could talk to a school counselor and get advice of how to help her and encourage her to help herself? I'm much better at the matchmaking stuff than with the teenagers being influenced by the wrong crowd.

One thing that might be worth asking is what does she see in him? Maybe start out with something like she is such a pretty and smart girl, that you wonder why she dates someone who does drugs and asks her to steal. Don't harp on it, just ask somewhat offhandedly. Then just sit quietly and see if she gives you an answer. Who knows, maybe this guy has some redeeming qualities you don't see, or maybe there's something else going on in her life that draws her to this guy, or maybe she'll just say she doesn't know. Just give her honest compliments when you can. She may have a self-esteem problem and just needs to hear good things from someone else to help her see her value.

And, honestly, it might be good if you go talk to someone too...not just us, but a counselor or psychologist. You clearly care about her and you've seen people get really badly hurt before, so this has got to be taking a toll on you too..it sure sounds like it from what you've posted here. And if you wind up being her sole source of positive emotional support, it will be important for you to have someone to talk to so it doesn't drag you down with her. And they may help you find some good strategies for helping her too.

Zeteg said:
My question is... what would be the best way to destroy her trust in her friend, and make her hate her ex?
Try to become even more or an abusive badboy jerk as her ex is! :devil:

for starters calm down-- ie don't come to pf and ask for advice from string theorists and microbiologists on dating-- there may be better resources then again many of us have been in the same situation. Calm down-- relax don't make a big deal out of it or it will only become harder and harder to do...

if you want to start to "make your move"

here are some easy ways to start off small
just hold her hand and start to rub it a little
use your finger and move it back and forth

this flirting usually makes it obvious what is going on without risking for the kiss if it feels to acward

just slowly progress it will become natural-- if she starts to massage ur hand back ur good to go

carefull though this tactic has had people going to far to quickly

ok i must have missed something -- my post was in response to first post

Tom McCurdy said:
ok i must have missed something -- my post was in response to first post

Yep, you did. He got the girl! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/boldpurple.gif

See, PF isn't such a bad place to get dating advice :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... here's the thing. Her parents are quite strict, and won't even let her date yet. The problem lies in the fact that she does it without her parents even knowing. If they found out, she'd be grounded for like... eternity. I don't want to press the information on them 'cause the toll will be pretty bad on her, and she'd probably end up hating me, which wouldn't help.

I don't want to see a school cousouler 'cause they won't really even try and help right now. School starts in about 3 hours, and thus they have about 1500 students to process and fix.

I shall take your advice and not approach too fast though. I guess slipping a question here and there might be the best way to work right now. Thanks.

There's no point in me talking to anyone about myself anymore. I'm just worried about her, 'cause I know I can make the right decisions. Thanks for the concern though.