Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with a name!

  1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    What was the name of that graduated reading thing that was used in elementary school? It had different colours for how hard each level of reading was (like yellow and red). I remember absolutely loving those things, but for the life of me I can not remember what they were called!

    Anyone have a clue?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Well for me it was SRA, which I had in my 3rd grade class in 1966. Lowest level was aqua, then gold, and I don't remember after that since I only had about 5 months in 3rd grade, but there was brown, blue, green, and red, and probably orange and purple.

    In the US a modern version of SRA is available from McGraw-Hill.


    http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/sra/readingmastery.htm [Broken]

    I don't know if that's the program of which one is thinking.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 22, 2010 #3
    Hooked on Photics ?
  5. Feb 22, 2010 #4
    the SRA seems correct, only it looks like it is on CD's now! Oh how time flies!

    Thanks, Astronuc!
  6. Feb 22, 2010 #5


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    I guess my school didn't use color coding, it does not look familiar at all.
  7. Feb 22, 2010 #6
    i think we had colors for group levels in 2nd & 3rd grade, but i don't remember anything about reading.
  8. Feb 22, 2010 #7


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Our classes were divided into three groups according to reading skills, the red birds, blue birds and yellow birds, the red birds were the kids that could read easily, I was a red bird, maybe we didn't have to be color coded for reading skills? I felt pretty much ignored. :rolleyes:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook