How can I solve this algebra proof problem?

In summary, the student is struggling with trying to solve a homework problem, and is looking for help. He has found that the equation for r1 + r2 - r = n(q3 - q2 - q1) can be rearranged to a=b (mod n), which is the same as saying a=q_1 n+b. This proves the equation. However, the student is still confused about what the equation means.
kramer733

Homework Statement

Question 1.

http://people.math.carleton.ca/~mezo/A2math1102-11.pdf

Homework Equations

r1 = a modn
r2 = b modn
r = (a+b) modn

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the division algorithm

So:

a = (q1)n + r1
b = (q2)n + r2
(a+b) = (q3)n + r

i isolated for r1 and r2 to get more equations

r1 = a - (q1)n
r2 = b - (q2)n
r = (a+b) - (q3)n

r1+r2 = (a+b) -n(q1+q2)

I then added a and b together to get the following:

a+b = r1+r2 + n(q1+q2)

After that, i`m completely lost.

This is for question 1 by the way. I've been toying around with this question for 15 hours and i still can't do anything with it. I thought i proved it before but then i realized it wasn't a proof. Please help. I'm dying.
Also another thing that I'm having trouble with is 3. I don't understand why it's worth 10 marks. All i see is me setting equation 1 and 2 equal to each other. I don't understand what's so special about that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kramer733 said:

Homework Statement

Question 1.

http://people.math.carleton.ca/~mezo/A2math1102-11.pdf

Homework Equations

r1 = a modn
r2 = b modn
r = (a+b) modn

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the division algorithm

So:

a = (q1)n + r1
b = (q2)n + r2
(a+b) = (q3)n + r

Substitute a and b from the first and second equation in the third equation. What do you get??

i isolated for r1 and r2 to get more equations

r1 = a - (q1)n
r2 = b - (q2)n
r = (a+b) - (q3)n

r1+r2 = (a+b) -n(q1+q2)

I then added a and b together to get the following:

a+b = r1+r2 + n(q1+q2)

After that, i`m completely lost.

This is for question 1 by the way. I've been toying around with this question for 15 hours and i still can't do anything with it. I thought i proved it before but then i realized it wasn't a proof. Please help. I'm dying.

(q1)n+(q2)n + r1 + r2 = (q3)n+r

Is this what you meant?

kramer733 said:
(q1)n+(q2)n + r1 + r2 = (q3)n+r

Is this what you meant?

Yes, that is good. Now rearrange a bit and you got the proof!

micromass said:
Yes, that is good. Now rearrange a bit and you got the proof!

I don't think it's that obvious to me. To be honest, I've already tried doing that and I'm not sure but maybe i don't truly know how mods truly work. if i isolated for r1 + r2, then i'd get the following:

r1 + r2 = n(q3 - q2 - q1) + r

r1 = amodn
r2 = bmodn
r = (a+b)modn

I'm not exactly sure how it works i guess. Could you help me? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Well, a=b (mod n) if there is a q such that qn=a-b. Agreed??

Well, you've shown now that r1 + r2 - r = n(q3 - q2 - q1). Doesn't this prove it?

micromass said:
Well, a=b (mod n) if there is a q such that qn=a-b. Agreed??

Well, you've shown now that r1 + r2 - r = n(q3 - q2 - q1). Doesn't this prove it?

To be honest, i don't really understand why a=b (mod n) if there is a q such that qn = a-b"

Where'd that come from? Could you explain please? I'm sorry but it's really just not that obvious to me.

kramer733 said:
To be honest, i don't really understand why a=b (mod n) if there is a q such that qn = a-b"

Where'd that come from? Could you explain please? I'm sorry but it's really just not that obvious to me.

What is the definition of a=b (mod n) ?

micromass said:
What is the definition of a=b (mod n) ?

a = q1n + a

You mean that?

kramer733 said:
a = q1n + a

You mean that?

Don't you mean [itex]a=q_1 n+b[/itex]??

Well, that's the same thing I posted, no?? Just rearrange, and you get [itex]a-b=qn[/itex]...

micromass said:
Don't you mean [itex]a=q_1 n+b[/itex]??

Well, that's the same thing I posted, no?? Just rearrange, and you get [itex]a-b=qn[/itex]...

Actually i don't know but i think i posted it wrong. shouldn't it be ,

b = qn + a, a = bmodn. That's how our professor wrote it in the form as atleast. Now I'm confused.I also really don't see how r1 + r2 - r = n(q3 - q2 - q1) proves it. Like I just don't see what this result means in relation to [itex]a-b=qn[/itex]. Like it's telling us to prove (a+b)modn = (amodn+bmodn)modn. I'm just not seeing the connection

Last edited:

1. What is an algebra proof?

An algebra proof is a logical argument that uses algebraic equations and properties to prove a statement or theorem. It is a step-by-step process that shows why a given mathematical statement is true.

2. How do I write an algebra proof?

To write an algebra proof, start by clearly stating what you are trying to prove. Then, use algebraic equations and properties to show that the statement is true. Make sure to explain each step and provide a reason for why you are making a particular move. Finally, conclude your proof by restating the original statement and showing how you have proven it.

3. What are some common algebraic properties used in proofs?

Some common algebraic properties used in proofs include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division properties. Other important properties include the reflexive, symmetric, and transitive properties.

4. How do I know if my algebra proof is correct?

A correct algebra proof should follow a logical sequence of steps and use valid algebraic properties. Make sure to double-check your work and verify that each step is accurate. You can also ask a teacher or tutor to review your proof and provide feedback.

5. What are some tips for solving algebra proofs?

When solving algebra proofs, it is important to start with what you know and work towards what you are trying to prove. Use algebraic properties and previously proven theorems to make logical moves. It can also be helpful to rewrite equations in different forms and use substitution to simplify expressions. Practice and patience are key to becoming proficient at solving algebra proofs.