1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with Derivatives problem

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]y = [cos^6 ( csc^2(4e^\pi^3))]^\frac{23}{15}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

so far I have [tex]\frac{23}{15}[cos^6 ( csc^2(4e^\pi^3))]\frac{d}{dx}cos^6 ( csc^2(4e^\pi^3))[/tex]... but I stopped here because I don't know if I'm doing it right.

Could someone give me a hand?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no x in your expression at all. So dy/dx=0. This smells like a trick question.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    HAHA! the answer was actually 0, but I had no clue how to get to it. I remember he did something on the board that I didn't get to copy down where everything ended up canceling out though.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y is a constant, independent of x. Of course, dy/dx=0. You don't even have to copy anything down. The fact the expression is so ridiculously complicated should be a clue that someone is trying to pull a fast one.

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    So on the test tomorrow, if a problem like this comes up I should be safe saying:

"no 'x' expression exists, therefore dy/dx = 0."

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, just say what I said. "y is a constant independent of x, so dy/dx=0". It's just like differentiating y=2. Or y=pi/3. Or [tex]y = [cos^6 ( csc^2(4e^\pi^3))]^\frac{23}{15}[/tex]. They are all the same thing.

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7
    Alright cool. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?