1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    Help me With ELECTROMAGNETISIM plzzzz

Hello i need some help with my Electromagnetism H.W

these are the questions .. i don't get them at all but can you check for me my attempts on the questions :)..

(a) Draw a schematic diagram of electric field lines generated by a positively
    charged spherical metallic shell in air.

---- What i did is that i made a circle and place a + sign on it and place arrows going out of it .. is that right?

(b) State what is meant by the term “equipotential surface”. Define the
    geometrical relationship between the directions of electric field lines and
    equipotential surfaces.

----An equipotential surface is a surface on which the potential, or voltage, is constant. Electric field lines are always perpendicular to these surfaces

(c) In the case of the charged metallic shell described in Q(a), show
    schematically three equipotential surfaces and label them in order of
    increasing potential (V1>V2>V3).

----- what i did over here is made three circles and each circle is bigger than the other and they are above each other having V3 the bigger circle and arrows pointing towards the smaller circles..

Plzzz help me out thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2
    Re: Help me With ELECTROMAGNETISIM plzzzz

all those answers seem correct to me, im not exactly sure what you mean by "arrows pointing towards the smaller circles" but your explanations look right.
  4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    Re: Help me With ELECTROMAGNETISIM plzzzz

Sorry it took me a while to answer back.. emmm what i meant by the circles is like u have 3 circles above each other and they are bigger than each other sooo the bigger circle arrows pointing towards the smaller circle and the second smaller circle arrows are pointing towards the other smaller circle
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?