Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with my grammar

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1

Mk

Code (Text):
    Several months earlier, American businessman and retired US Naval
    Intelligence officer Edmond Pope was arrested in Moscow on charges of
    espionage; he had been trying to buy the plans for an ultrahigh-speed
    torpedo.
    Is my use of the semicolon good? Everything look right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yup. phrases on both sides are legit sentences. Semi-colon good.

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. Edward Pope should be enclosed in commas. Replace your semi-colon with either a period or the word "because".

In general, avoid the semi-colon like the plague. It usually makes your position look weaker. It's almost as bad as using words like however and therefore, which should also be avoided like the plague.

Words in the "however" category tend to dilute the forcefulness of your paper. You're basically saying "I'm right and this is why I'm right, but maybe I could be wrong."

It takes some skill to pull off the use of semi-colons and words such as "however" without weakening your paper. They work best when you have to introduce a point that should weaken your position and is too obvious to ignore. You can use them to weaken the impact of a point that contradicts the point you're trying to make; however, it's kind of an obvious trick that won't bowl over a sophisticated reader.

Of course, the impressions created by grammar and selection of words can vary with the audience. Most businesses and the military like very straight-forward, strong language. Other audiences (college professors reading a doctoral thesis, for example) may get an entirely different impression.

5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I disagree with BobG. I am a fan of the semi-colon; however, it is often incorrectly used.

I agree with DaveC; the semi-colon attaches two independant sentences and can imply that the second sentence is a clarification of the first.

The commas around "Edmond Pope" would be incorrect in this instance because "Edmond Pope" is the subject of the sentence. IF the phrase started with "An American businessman and retired US Naval
    Intelligence officer..." then that phrase would be the subject and "Edmond Pope" would be a modifier placed within commas. As it is, no comma is required.

6. Apr 12, 2006 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You even concede that it's a bad idea for most people to use the semi-colon. You obstinately persist in using it for no rational or defensible reason; it's just a pursuit of that 'air of intellectual elitism' that Bushies despise so much.

The semi-colon's not such a bad tool, after all. Thanks to the semi-colon, only half of my sentence is unsupported hot air instead of the entire sentence. :rofl:

7. Apr 12, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally, I prefer the semi-latus rectum to the semi-colon; however, that's probably because I feel more comfortable computing satellite orbits than using grammar.

8. Apr 12, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've always had difficulty with 'howevers'. I at first thought the above was wrong. I'm still not convinced it looks right.

9. Apr 12, 2006 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I disagree that Edward Pope should be enclosed by commas. This is a matter of personal preference. I'm a big fan of semicolons, but only when used correctly.

10. Apr 12, 2006 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds so much stronger. How could anyone argue against using semi-colons correctly?

11. Apr 12, 2006 #10
    Enclosing the name in parentheses would, in fact, be grammatically incorrect.

Replace the semicolon with a period. Strong ideas are best presented alone. (Hell, when in doubt, use a period. If you know how to use a semicolon, great. You'll find it works only rarely. When you see the guy laying them down after every other sentence, you'll know who didn't quite learn how to write. Keep it simple.)

12. Apr 12, 2006 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well; I for one don't appreciate the bad; rap. That semi-colons are getting; Why are you guys so dead set against; Them?

I;disagree that they weaken a sentence; they only; negative consequence; of; using semicolons is; indeed when they? are,,over;used. They tend to call!!!attention/to:themselves!!?/!

Back to the OP. It is a justifiable, and correct used of the semi-colon. As we all agree, the semi-colon is not to be overused. Sometimes it can be quite elegant and nothing else will do.
    And using the semi-colon to precede a "however" or "therefore" clause is also a valid use. The "it doesn't look right" feel is winning in the linguistic realm. Even if something is correct, the "hypercorrection" effect will often kill the proper use. We have learned that the semi-colon often produces ugly sentences. We then hypercorrect every use of the semicolon as a mistake.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  13. Apr 12, 2006 #12
    Use of the semi-colon or not is a matter of style, not grammar (at least with regards to the OP); however, it is true that sentences separated with semi-colons are usually more forceful as two separate sentences.

14. Apr 12, 2006 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well said!

15. Apr 12, 2006 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  16. Apr 12, 2006 #15
    Sorry, Meson, that wasn't directed at you. I was talking about the pseudo-intellects--I'm sure we've all been through that.

17. Apr 12, 2006 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm with you on this one.

The semi-colon separates two independant clauses, which is its purpose.

Second, "Edmond Pope" is essential information. Only use commas when it is not essential.

For example:

Assume you know Billy.

"Tell Billy we have class today."

Assume you don't know Billy.

"Tell Billy, the tall guy with the blue shirt, we have class today."

18. Apr 12, 2006 #17
    Wow, you must be there #1 fan

19. Apr 12, 2006 #18

Mk

Well, I didn't put a period there because the two sentences I wanted to be conjuncted, I couldn't find a word to stick in there, so I put a semicolon. Maybe the keyboard should be changed around. I left pinky finger pushes the "a" a lot, but what does my right pinky finger do? Well, it pushes the :, ', ", ?, /, ., >, ?, ¿, ÷, and æ. I guess in the immediate vicinity it does a lot, but not without having to move. I guess the left one has to push the q, and the z in addition to the a.

Anyway, "back to the OP," after reading this discussion, it seems my sentence is right, no changes needed.

20. Apr 12, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm siding with the folks who voted against its use there.

However, I do not agree with those who are arguing the word "however" should be avoided like the plague. :wink: Sometimes, it is necessary to point out contrasts, or conflicting evidence, to give a full picture of what you're describing. Other times, the "however" is clarifying why someone else is wrong. :biggrin:

But, in the sentence above, you're describing cause and effect or the relationship between two events. In other words, you want the second clause to be a dependent clause to strengthen the relationship. I'm going to vote in favor of using ", because" in place of the semi-colon rather than splitting that statement into two sentences. Your usage, technically, is not grammatically incorrect, but, stylistically, it is not the strongest way to connect those two thoughts.

For those who need help on the uses of semi-colons, this is a helpful site:
    http://www.wisc.edu/writing/Handbook/Semicolons.html

21. Apr 12, 2006 #20
    I've never been quite sure how to use them. Most of the time when I see a place where I might use a semicolon it just doesn't look right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?