1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with my struggle

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    Hello, my name is Marcos. I am 18 years old and I am from Argentina. I am going through quite a struggle deciding between Physics, Engineering(specifically Aerospace Engineering) and biology.The reasons for my interest in physics are: I would love to carry out research(I like science), I like being able to understand a little about everything and the world that surrounds us, I have a great interest on space. Reasons for my interest on Aerospace engineering: It is a "safer" major in terms of employment and money, I might be able to do complex things in relation to space, It has advanced physics. Things I like about biology: stem cells, genetics and neuroscience. The problem is here in Argentina research is almost non existant. So, I will have to leave my country to the US (still being hard) In both I am planning to try hardly to achieve a Phd. What is your advice? Thanks a lot for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

You could consider combining two interests like biology and physics and get into biophysics. Biology related fields are hot and are arguably a better field to get into than aerospace.

Other more qualified members here will give you some other good tips.

One thing you can do now is to write down the pros and cons of each field and factor what you learn here and from additional research online and your best choice will become evident.

4. May 16, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't think it's necessary obvious that aerospace engineering is safer than something like biophysics. I don't know, but it's something you should look into. Especially since the country where you plan to work is Argentina and not the US.

5. May 16, 2015 #4
    I cannot stop thinking on what to do with my life. I know that I want to contribute to the world with something, make my life worthy. But also I dont want to not earn enough to support my family in the future, specially in a place like argentina where research is not paid well.
    es

6. May 16, 2015 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

@Frushe Could I get you to go to the personal message you received, and click on "Report" so that I can see it. Thanks.

7. May 16, 2015 #6
    Done! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook