What is the quickest way to refresh my memory on quadratic equations?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who learned how to exponentiate expressions a few weeks ago and now has a project due tomorrow. They are asking for help with graphing functions, specifically with (x+a)^2. The other person explains how to think of it using FOIL and provides an example with (x+5)^2. The person thanks them for their help.
frankensteak
i learned this a few weeks ago and now i have a project due tomorrow and i want to make sure in doing this right before i make useless graphs...

like: (x-1)^2+3

or (x+2)^2

i can't remember how to exponent that ****...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(x+a)^2=x^2+2xa+a^2

Was it the question that you were asking that was cencored? Or are you asking how to graph the functions?

Last edited:
how did you do that

im asking..

how to (x+5)squared

Think of it this way.

12^2 =(10+2)*(10+2)=10*10+10*2+2*10+2*2=100+20+20+4=144
(x+a)^2=(x+a)*(x+a) =x*x+x*a+x*a+a*a=x^2+2xa+a^2

Are you familiear with FOIL?

(x+5)^2 (a=5)=x^2+2ax+a^2=x^2+2*5*x+5^2=x^2+10x+25

no.. i get it..

i tried to find my notes but organization isn't really my thing..
but i got it now, thanks to you! :D

mucho grassy ass

What are quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are algebraic equations that contain a squared term (x^2) and are solved using the quadratic formula or factoring methods.

How do I solve quadratic equations?

To solve a quadratic equation, use the quadratic formula or factor the equation to find the values of x that make the equation true.

What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is x = [-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)] / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

What are the different methods for solving quadratic equations?

The two main methods for solving quadratic equations are the quadratic formula and factoring. Other methods include completing the square and graphing.

When are quadratic equations used?

Quadratic equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball, determining the dimensions of a rectangle with a given area, and solving problems in physics and engineering.