What Are the Characteristics of This Sine Curve Equation?

• Thread starter silentthoughts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sine
In summary, the first question asks for an equation of a sine curve with an amplitude of 5, maximum value of 7, minimum value of -3, and one cycle starting at pi/8 and ending at 9pi/8. The second question provides an equation for the relationship between the number of hours of daylight and the day of the year, and asks for the amplitude, period, phase shift, and vertical shift of the sine curve. The solution involves using the given information to find the values of A, b, c, and D in the general equation y= A sin(bx+ c)+ D.
silentthoughts
Help me with sine questions.. URGENT

Hi I am trying to solve these and i can't understand them .. please help me

Q1:: Write an equation for a sine curve that has the following characteristics: - amplitude of 5, -max of 7, min of -3 and one cycle starts at pi/8 and this cycle ends at 9 pi/8

Q2:the number of hrs of daylight for a particular area is related to the day of the year as follows: D=12 +2.5 sin[2pi/365(t-81)], where D is the number of hours of daylight and t is the day of the year, with t= 1 representing january 1st. find the amplitude, period , phase shift and vertical shift for the equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any "sin curve" can be written y= A sin(bx+ c)+ D. Since the largest possible value of sine is 1 and the smallest is -1, that will have a largest value of A+ D and smallest of -A+ D. One cycle of sin(x) starts at x= 0 and ends at x= 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. One cycle of sin(bx+ c), then, starts when bx+ c= 0 and ends when bx+ c= 2[itex]\pi[/itex]. Use the information given to find A, b, c, and D.

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with these sine questions. Let's start with the first one:

Q1: To write an equation for a sine curve, we can use the general form of y = A sin(Bx + C) + D, where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, C is the phase shift, and D is the vertical shift.

In this case, we are given the amplitude of 5, which means that A = 5. The maximum value is 7, so we can set D = 7. The minimum value is -3, so we can set D = -3.

Now, for the cycle starting at pi/8 and ending at 9pi/8, we can use the fact that one full cycle of a sine curve is 2pi. This means that the frequency, or B, is equal to 2pi divided by the length of the cycle, which is 9pi/8 - pi/8 = 8pi/8 = pi. So, B = pi.

Putting all of this together, we have the equation y = 5sin(pi x + C) + D. To find the phase shift, we can use the starting point of pi/8. This means that C = -pi/8. Substituting this into our equation, we have y = 5sin(pi x - pi/8) + D.

Q2: For this question, we are given the equation D = 12 + 2.5sin[2pi/365(t-81)]. We can see that the amplitude is 2.5, the period is 365, the phase shift is 81, and the vertical shift is 12.

To find the amplitude, we can use the formula A = |B|, since the coefficient of sine is the amplitude. In this case, A = |2.5| = 2.5.

The period is given as 365, which means that B = 2pi/365.

The phase shift is given as 81, so C = -81.

The vertical shift is given as 12, so D = 12.

Putting all of this together, we have the equation D = 2.5sin[2pi/365(t+81)] + 12.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or

1. What is the sine function?

The sine function is a mathematical function that maps an angle to the ratio of the length of the side opposite the angle to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It is commonly denoted as sin(x) or sinθ.

2. How do I find the value of sine for a given angle?

To find the value of sine for a given angle, you can use a scientific calculator or refer to a sine table. Alternatively, you can use the following formula:
sin(x) = opposite/hypotenuse.

3. What is the range of values for the sine function?

The range of values for the sine function is between -1 and 1. This means that the maximum value of sine is 1 and the minimum value is -1.

4. How is the sine function used in real life?

The sine function is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to calculate the relationship between angles and distances. It is also used in sound and light waves to represent the amplitude of a wave.

5. What are the key properties of the sine function?

The key properties of the sine function include being a periodic function with a period of 2π, having a positive value in the first and second quadrants, and a negative value in the third and fourth quadrants. It is also an odd function, meaning that sin(-x) = -sin(x).