Help me with some of my projects please (wheelchairs and mobility)

In summary, I am requesting assistance with my projects related to wheelchairs and mobility. This could include help with researching and designing more accessible wheelchairs, improving transportation options for individuals with mobility impairments, or developing innovative solutions for everyday challenges faced by those with limited mobility. Any assistance in these areas would be greatly appreciated.
Mohammed Alhayek9
TL;DR Summary
I have a humble project .. and I want to discuss something to you
Engineers Students Doctors ...

i would like to discuss some ideas in my projects .. and also can you tell me how do I know what clients need and want?

the first project is about a wheelchair i just added on it a rod when you push it it will create a circular motion to the wheel so he needs only one hand and his effort.

the second project is about a car but not exactly what you think .. you set down on the chair then try to push the (accelerator) by pushing it will create also a circular motion to the wheels .

guys I really need help because I do not know if the projects are going to work or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Show us what you have come up with so far. Include sketches/images, if possible.

😅 sorry but I can tell the mechanism
and I already explained them above
wheelchair have two rods (L) connected to something also connected to the wheel that moves in a circular path the second project almost the same thing but bigger
AZFIREBALL said:
Show us what you have come up with so far. Include sketches/images, if possible.

Like this?

Likes Mohammed Alhayek9
Or this?

So, what are your questions?

Mohammed Alhayek9 said:
Summary: I have a humble project .. and I want to discuss something to you

the first project is about a wheelchair i just added on it a rod when you push it it will create a circular motion to the wheel so he needs only one hand and his effort.
Like this:

One-Hand Drive Wheelchair:
https://shop.r10s.jp/pandora/cabinet/img006001/006864.jpg

Likes Mohammed Alhayek9
Mohammed Alhayek9 said:

i would like to discuss some ideas in my projects .. and also can you tell me how do I know what clients need and want?

If we are to discuss it, we must first understand better what you are trying to accomplish. Please tell us more, and please post a drawing. Use the ATTACH FILES button to post a picture.

Last edited:
anorlunda said:
If we are to discuss it, we must first understand better what you are trying to accomplish. Please tell us more, and please post a drawing. Use the UPLOAD button to post a picture.
this is from solidworks

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes anorlunda
Mohammed Alhayek9 said:
this is from solidworks

View attachment 242885
It looks similar to the picture of the product that I posted. How do you turn it and propel it at the same time?

Mohammed Alhayek9 said:
It really is as simple as this: ask them.

berkeman said:
It looks similar to the picture of the product that I posted. How do you turn it and propel it at the same time?
just apply force forward then it will move after that push and pull the rod

So, what do you need to know?

I am going to build them so I would like to know if it is needed or not.

I would like to open my own project that's my humble begin.
so far I need advice and client needs

Mohammed Alhayek9 said:
I am going to build them so I would like to know if it is needed or not.
Sorry, if what is needed?

You are going to build wheelchairs? Do you have the necessary machines etc.?
What country will you sell them in?

berkeman said:
Sorry, if what is needed?
the actual project o_O ( you do something because people need that )

AZFIREBALL said:
You are going to build wheelchairs? Do you have the necessary machines etc.?
What country will you sell them in?
machines and other kinds of stuff are available.
almost in SaudiArabia

of course, the idea will remain the same but different design

What makes you think such a product is needed in Saudi Arabia?

Mohammed Alhayek9 said:

guys I really need help because I do not know if the projects are going to work or not.
Before charging in and reinventing something that somebody else has already done, find out what other people have done. Good search terms are rough terrain wheelchair and lever operated wheelchair. Those search terms will lead you to some patents. Two U.S. patents that come up right away are 6,247,715 and 8,844,959. Look up those patents, then click on the links for Referenced By and the References Cited. For U.S. patents, start at patft.uspto.gov. U.S. patents are much easier to search than European patents, so that's a good place to start.

All patents are good sources of ideas. Expired patents can be legally copied, active patents cannot.

It's up to you to figure out if your idea will work or not. If your background is mechanical engineering, that should be easy. If your background is different, you need to find a mechanical engineer to work with.

Likes berkeman
You said:
"My dilemma is that I'd like to design a wheel chair for this brief but I don't have the skillset required to use minicomputers or micro-sensors."

Then you need to hire someone (or find a partner) who has these skills.
Or, educate yourself (read, study, go to school, build a robot kit or get a Digital Control Kit to play with, etc.).

1. What are the common challenges faced by individuals using wheelchairs and mobility aids?

Some common challenges faced by individuals using wheelchairs and mobility aids include limited accessibility in public spaces, difficulty with transportation, and social stigma and discrimination.

2. How can technology help improve the functionality and usability of wheelchairs and mobility aids?

Technology has played a significant role in improving the functionality and usability of wheelchairs and mobility aids. Innovations such as power wheelchairs, smart wheelchair controls, and advanced prosthetics have greatly enhanced the independence and mobility of individuals with disabilities.

3. Are there any ongoing research or development projects focused on improving wheelchairs and mobility aids?

Yes, there are numerous ongoing research and development projects focused on improving wheelchairs and mobility aids. Some examples include the development of exoskeletons for individuals with paralysis, advancements in wheelchair propulsion systems, and the use of artificial intelligence to improve wheelchair navigation.

4. How can individuals with disabilities access affordable and suitable wheelchairs and mobility aids?

There are various organizations and programs that provide assistance to individuals with disabilities in accessing affordable and suitable wheelchairs and mobility aids. These include government-funded programs, non-profit organizations, and charitable initiatives. Additionally, some insurance plans may cover the cost of wheelchairs and mobility aids.

5. What are some important factors to consider when designing and developing wheelchairs and mobility aids?

When designing and developing wheelchairs and mobility aids, it is crucial to consider factors such as accessibility, comfort, durability, and user-friendliness. It is also essential to involve individuals with disabilities in the design process to ensure that their specific needs and preferences are taken into account.