Help me with the derivate of this equation?

• Thread starter roboredo
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation was about finding the derivative of the equation y=a log10 (x) + B in order to calculate the slope of the isotherm. The person asking for help was unsure of where to post the question and was struggling to find the answer. Eventually, someone provided the solution and the conversation ended with gratitude.
roboredo
Can sameone help me with the derivate of this equation?

y=a log10 (x) + B

Thank you
Marta

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "derivate this equation" ?

Daniel.

I am supposed to fit some data into this model (y= a log10 (x) + B, where a and b are constants), then I should calculate the slope of the isotherm in order to obtain an index

1.You posted this problem in the wrong forum. The homework one is just above.
2.The slope is given by the derivative

[tex] y(x)=a\lg x+b \Rightarrow \frac{dy(x)}{dx}=...? [/tex]

Daniel.

I am sorry, I have just realized it...which forum should I go to...general maths or homework?
But.. do you actually know the derivate of this equation?...

derivate

I am supposed to fit some data into this model
y= a log10 (x) + B, where a and b are constants
then I should calculate the slope of the isotherm in order to obtain an index

can someone help me?

Thank you , marta

What's the connection between the logarithm base 10 and the logarithm base "e" ?

Daniel.

I am no mathematician nor student, i just need help to solve this for work purposes and I have no maths books around..the only tool I have is internet.

Well, this is all you need

[tex] \lg x= \frac{\ln x}{\ln 10} [/tex]

and now use the derivative of the natural logarithm.

Daniel.

i am still struggling!

Well

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\left(a\frac{\ln x}{\ln 10}\right)=\frac{a}{\ln 10}\frac{d \ln x}{dx} [/tex]

Daniel.

I still haven't figured it out...
but thank you any way!

In case you haven't noticed, I've mearged both of your threads into this one. So at some point, the "flow" of the thread may not make any sense.

:)

Zz.

The answer is (for x>0)

[tex]\frac{a}{ln10} \frac{1}{x}=(\frac{a}{2.302585...} ) \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank You!

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function. It tells us how much a function is changing at a specific point.

2. Why do we need to find the derivative of an equation?

Finding the derivative of an equation allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It also helps us solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How do you find the derivative of an equation?

To find the derivative of an equation, we use a set of rules and formulas known as the "derivative rules". These rules tell us how to differentiate different types of functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

4. Can you give an example of finding the derivative of an equation?

Sure. Let's say we have the equation f(x) = 3x^2. To find the derivative of this equation, we use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). Applying this rule, we get f'(x) = 6x.

5. What is the importance of derivatives in real life?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in economics, where they are used to calculate rates of change in stock prices and interest rates. In physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocities and accelerations. They are also used in fields like machine learning, finance, and statistics.