1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with this fluid Problem Please

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1
    Help me with this fluid Problem ASAP Please :)

A long horizontal hose of diameter 3.2 cm is connected to a faucet. At the other end, there is a nozzle of diameter 1.8 cm. Water squirts from the nozzle at velocity 16 m/sec. Assume that the water has no viscosity or other form of energy dissipation.

Okay so How long will it take to fill a tub of volume 110 liters with the hose ?

I got the flow rate which is 16.277 liter, 110/162.77 = 6.75 why isnt this the asnwer
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2
    Can you show some work?

[tex] \dot {m} = \rho \dot{ V_{avg}} A_c [/tex]

This is a steady state nozzle.
  4. Apr 4, 2006 #3
    o ya what did was

((1.8)/ (100))^2 * 3.14 * 16 = .016277 M^3/S = Flow rate

I then converted it to Liters by multiplying 1000
  5. Apr 4, 2006 #4
    Area of a cross section is [tex] \pi \frac{d^2}{4} [/tex]

Why did the problem give you the initial diameter? Are you sure this is how the problem is worded?
  6. Apr 4, 2006 #5
    yep exactly, i copied and pasted from online HW, o ya intial diameter was for another part i needed to find Velcotit which i did
  7. Apr 4, 2006 #6
    What? You found the inital diameter in another part? Can you post the origional problem. I have no clue what is what anymore :confused:.
  8. Apr 4, 2006 #7
    sorry one more problem,

A rectangular block of ice 14 m on each side and 0.5 m thick floats in seawater. The density of the seawater is 1025 kg/m3. The density of ice is 917 kg/m3.

a) How high does the top of the ice block float above the water level?

Okay so i know Fb=pgVdis

pwatergVdis = picegVdis

(1025)(9.8)(14*1.1*14)+ (x)(m*g) = 917*9.8*X

What Am i missing, thanks so much
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  9. Apr 4, 2006 #8
    i got the problem, thanks alot i guess i didnt know what the area of a cross section is since all it says on formula sheet is the area of circle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?