What is the solution for 27 mod 4 in this math problem?

• Thread starter Math9999
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving the modulo operation and the use of vector notation. The solution involves calculating the remainder of 27 divided by 4 and 5, and understanding the notation for vectors in different sets. The conversation also provides a link to an explanation of modular arithmetic.
Math9999

Homework Statement

I'll upload the picture of the math problem.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the work:
[2, 0, 3, 2]*[6, 4, 3, 3]=12+9+6=27
Since [3, 1, 1, 2]+[3, 3, 2, 1]=[6, 4, 3, 3].
But how do I figure out 27 mod 4?

Attachments

• 20170727_102432.jpg
    20170727_102432.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the explanation of what modulo means:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

It's the remainder by a division with a certain number, here ##4## and ##5##. What you also used here, is that the modulo operation is a ring homomorphism, i.e. you don't have to bother whether you first apply the modulo operations and multiply in ##\mathbb{Z}_4## resp. ##\mathbb{Z}_5##, or first calculate in ##\mathbb{Z}## and apply the modulo operation on the result.

So for the first part of the problem, it's 27 mod 4=3. Since the remainder of 27-4*6=3, right? But what about the second one? ZZ 4 and 5?

If you can do it in ##\mathbb{Z}_4## what prevents you from doing the same with ##5##? The upper ##4## in the notation only means, that we have four dimensional vectors here.

So 27 mod 5=2 since the remainder of 27-5*5=2, right? So what you're saying is to ignore the upper part since that's the number of dimensional vectors?

Right. The notation means ##\mathbb{Z}_5^4 = \mathbb{Z}_5 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_5 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_5 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_5##. So the initial vectors, e.g. ##(2,0,3,2)## are meant to have their components, which are four of them, within ##\mathbb{Z}_5##, that is ##2 \in \mathbb{Z}_5\; , \;0 \in \mathbb{Z}_5\; , \; 3 \in \mathbb{Z}_5\; , \;2 \in \mathbb{Z}_5##. Together it is ##(2,0,3,2) \in \mathbb{Z}_5^4##. So the upper four is a count for the number of components, whereas the lower ##4## or ##5## in my example tells us where those components belong to. ##\mathbb{Z}_4 = \{0,1,2,3\}\; , \;\mathbb{Z}_5 = \{0,1,2,3,4\}## the possible remainders of a division by ##4##, resp. ##5##.

Likes Math9999
Thank you so much for the help!

1. How can I solve this math problem?

To solve a math problem, you can follow a few steps. First, read and understand the problem carefully. Then, identify the relevant information and create a plan to solve the problem. Next, perform the necessary calculations and check your work. Finally, make sure to clearly present your answer and any necessary steps or explanations.

2. What if I don't understand the math problem?

If you're having trouble understanding a math problem, don't panic. Try breaking it down into smaller parts or rephrasing it in your own words. You can also try using visual aids, such as drawing a diagram or using manipulatives, to help you better understand the problem. If you're still stuck, don't hesitate to ask a teacher or classmate for help.

3. Can you show me how to solve this math problem step by step?

Yes, I can show you how to solve a math problem step by step. However, it's important to note that there may be multiple ways to solve a problem and the steps may vary depending on the specific problem. It's always a good idea to ask for clarification if you're unsure about any steps.

4. How can I check if my answer to the math problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a math problem is correct, you can use a variety of methods. You can try solving the problem using a different method, working backwards from the answer, or plugging your answer back into the original problem. It's also important to check your work for any careless mistakes or errors in calculations.

5. What should I do if I'm still having trouble with this math problem?

If you're still struggling with a math problem, don't give up! You can try reviewing similar problems or seeking additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems. You can also reach out to a teacher or tutor for extra help and guidance. Remember, practice makes perfect and with persistence, you can overcome any math problem.