Why is x2 . y2 not equal to (x-y) (x+y)?

In summary, the basic operations in mathematics are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The rules for performing operations in order of operations are: 1) Parentheses, 2) Exponents, 3) Multiplication and Division (left to right), and 4) Addition and Subtraction (left to right). To simplify expressions using operations, you should follow the order of operations and combine like terms. Inverse operations are operations that undo each other, such as addition and subtraction or multiplication and division. To check if your answer to an operation is correct, you can use the inverse operation to perform the operation in reverse.
Atqiya
why x2 . y2 = (x-y) (x+y) and xy . y2 cannot be (x-y) (y+y)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Atqiya said:
why x2 . y2 = (x-y) (x+y) and xy . y2 cannot be (x-y) (y+y)
If by x2 . y2 you mean ##x^2\cdot y^2##, then it is not equal to ##(x-y)(x+y)##.
It is true that ##x^2-y^2=(x-y)(x+y)##. It is also true that ##xy-y^2=(\sqrt{xy}-y)(\sqrt{xy}+y)## . Try substituting ##x=8## and ##y=2## to see how it works.

Likes YoungPhysicist

What is the purpose of operations in scientific research?

The purpose of operations in scientific research is to carry out a specific set of procedures or actions in order to collect data, test hypotheses, and draw conclusions. These operations can range from simple tasks such as measuring and recording data to complex experiments involving multiple variables.

What are the common types of operations used in scientific research?

Some common types of operations used in scientific research include observation, experimentation, data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis. These operations can be used in various combinations depending on the research question and methodology.

How do I ensure accuracy and precision in my operations?

To ensure accuracy and precision in operations, it is important to follow standardized protocols and procedures, use calibrated instruments, and repeat experiments multiple times. It is also crucial to minimize any external factors that may affect the results.

What are the potential sources of error in operations?

Potential sources of error in operations can include human error, equipment malfunction, environmental factors, and sample contamination. It is important to identify and minimize these sources of error in order to obtain reliable and valid results.

How can I improve my operations for better results?

To improve operations for better results, it is important to carefully plan and design experiments, use appropriate and validated methods, and carefully analyze and interpret data. Seeking feedback from peers and experts can also help improve operations and results.