Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with this Partial Differential Equation

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    Hi All,
    Please I need your assistance to solve this PDE below:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 X}{\partial z^2} + a(z,t) \frac{\partial X}{\partial t} + b(z,t) \frac{\partial X}{\partial z} +c(z,t) X =\Phi(z,t)[/itex]

With initial and boundary condition:
    [itex]X(z,0)=\frac{\partial X(z,0)}{\partial t}=0[/itex]
    [itex]X(0,t)=X(L,t)=0[/itex]

Thank you in advance.
    FM

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2
    Are you trying to solve an equation like this analytically or numerically? Solving it numerically isn't too difficult, but solving it analytically is.

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your response. I want to solve it analytically

5. Jun 10, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is this equation from? Is this for schoolwork, or research, or other?

6. Jun 10, 2013 #5
    It's research

7. Jun 10, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's research, shouldn't you be doing some of the research?

8. Jun 10, 2013 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doing some (not too in depth) reasearch in the field of solving PDE's doesn't leave with too many options to try to find a solution. The method of characteristics or separating variables should be the first ones you should try. Whether a (preferably closed form and expressible in terms of known special functions) solution can be found is directly dependent on the fact that the 4 coefficient functions have a 'nice', i.e. preferable constant form, so that the PDE would have the smallest possible non-linearity (even though, as written, it's classifield as linear).

Either way, your best research is done with a smart computer software such as Mathematica.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook