Help me with this phy experiment thingo

• Thread starter lilsheltie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, designing an experiment to investigate energy transfer involves choosing a specific system and measuring the different forms of energy involved. By plotting these forms of energy as a function of displacement, it can be observed how energy is transferred and varies within the system. It is important to clarify what "it" refers to in order to design a specific experiment.
lilsheltie
how would u design an experiment to investigate energy transfer?
And, how would you find out how it varies according to a variable?

I'm quite confused bout this and i need some help on how to even start! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is extremely vague, and so gives you the freedom to design virtually any energy transfer experiment you choose. However, I would recommend you ask your teacher what the "it" in the second line refers to.

Is this exactly how the question is worded ? If not, provide the actual wording. If it is, then sadly, it is a very poorly written question (especially for a college level question).

lilsheltie,
you could investigate the energy conversions involved in a mass oscillating on a spring. There are three types of energy involved, K, the kinetic energy of the mass, Us the potential energy of the spring and Ug the gravitational potential energy of the mass. By using the SHM equations and measuring the spring constant of the spring you can calculate K at say five points during it's oscillation, the midpoint, the end points and at two other displacements on both sides of the equilibrium. Plot these points as a function of the displacement and draw a smooth graph through them. Also calculate and draw such graphs for the other two forms of potential energy - maybe by taking the zero potential energy at the equilibrium position of the mass. By adding the three graphs up you should then get a constant energy graph. E = K + Us + Ug proving that energy is conserved in this system. In this system energy is transferred from one part to the other and back again. Also it varies according to the displacement of the mass w.r.t. the equilibrium position.

1. What is the purpose of this phy experiment?

The purpose of this phy experiment is to test a hypothesis or to observe and gather data about a specific physical phenomenon. It is used to understand how objects behave in different situations and to apply scientific principles to real-world situations.

2. What materials do I need for this phy experiment?

The materials needed for this phy experiment will vary depending on the specific experiment. However, common materials may include measuring tools, objects to be tested, and equipment such as scales, thermometers, or timers. It is important to carefully read the experiment instructions to determine the necessary materials.

3. How do I set up this phy experiment?

The setup for a phy experiment will also vary depending on the specific experiment. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by your teacher or in the experiment guide. Make sure to have all the necessary materials and set them up in the correct order according to the instructions.

4. What safety precautions should I take during this phy experiment?

Safety should always be a top priority during any experiment. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles or gloves, if necessary. Also, be aware of any potential hazards and follow all safety guidelines provided by your teacher. If you have any concerns, ask your teacher for guidance.

5. How do I analyze the data from this phy experiment?

The data collected from a phy experiment can be analyzed in various ways, depending on the specific experiment and its objectives. Some common methods include creating graphs, calculating averages, and comparing results to a control group. Your teacher may provide specific instructions on how to analyze the data, but if you are unsure, do not hesitate to ask for help.