Help me with this physchem problem about atmospheric pressure, please

In summary, Earth's atmosphere is constantly mixed by turbulent motion, so the composition of the atmosphere is constant below an altitude of 100 kilometers, but the total pressure decreases with altitude.
speny83
In the absence of turbulent mixing, the partial pressure of each constituent of air would fall off with height above sea level in Earth's atmosphere as Pi=P0ie−Migz/RT where Pi is the partial pressure at the height z, P0i is the partial pressure of component i at sea level, g is the acceleration of gravity, R is the gas constant, T is the absolute temperature, and Mi is the molecular mass of the gas. As a result of turbulent mixing, the composition of Earth's atmosphere is constant below an altitude of 100 km, but the total pressure decreases with altitude as P=P0e−Mavegz/RT where Mave is the mean molecular weight of air. At sea level, xN2= 0.78084 and xHe= 0.00000524 and T= 300. K.

Im not really sure where to start with this. I figured maybe just start with the exponent of e and I am confused right off the bat. using the info give it would be e^(28.9 g mol-1)(9.81m s-2)(6500m)/(300k)(R)...so I am not sure what R to use, also i sort of remember something about e not being able to be raised to something with units and i end up with all kinds of units left all over the place?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well if e can't be raised to something with units, then R better have units of g /(K mol s2 m2).

Noting that g/(m2 s2) is almost the units for a joule (replace gram with kilogram, which you should be able to figure out how to do in the original statement), and I'd say what you have is the good ol' fashion gas constant in J/(mol K)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_constant

I had no idea that was equivalent. the book I've been using does not mention that, guess that was supposed to be something i remembered from HS about 15 years ago! But I am correct about the e power unit thing, at least something is still in there haha!

thanks

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a unit area of surface. It is caused by the constant collision of air molecules with the Earth's surface and objects on it.

2. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which measures the height of a column of mercury or other liquid in a tube. The higher the column, the higher the atmospheric pressure.

3. How does altitude affect atmospheric pressure?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because there is less air above to exert a force on the surface. At higher altitudes, the air is also less dense, meaning there are fewer air molecules colliding with the surface.

4. How does temperature affect atmospheric pressure?

In general, as temperature increases, atmospheric pressure decreases. This is because warm air is less dense than cold air, so it exerts less force on the surface. However, there are other factors that can affect atmospheric pressure, such as humidity and wind.

5. How does atmospheric pressure impact weather?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. High pressure systems typically bring clear, sunny weather, while low pressure systems are associated with cloudy, rainy weather. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also lead to changes in wind patterns and air movement, which can affect weather conditions.