Is the Ratio Test Inconclusive for This Series?

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is discussing the application of the ratio test to a series and how it is inconclusive due to the inability to cancel out terms and the limit of the ratios approaching 1.
frasifrasi
So, I have the series from 1 to infinity of

sqrt(n)/(1+n^6)

Now, we are supposed to show that the ratio test is inconclusive for this series. But when I apply the ratio test, I get:

(n+1)^(1/2)/((1+(n+1)^6)*the original series and nothing seems to be cancelling out.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing this properly?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
Now, we are supposed to show that the ratio test is inconclusive for this series. But when I apply the ratio test, I get:

(n+1)^(1/2)/((1+(n+1)^6)*the original series and nothing seems to be cancelling out.

OK, first of all, you should be dividing (n+1)^(1/2)/((1+(n+1)^6) by the original term, [n^1/2]/[1+(n^6)]. Secondly, nothing will generally cancel: you are supposed to take the limit of the absolute value of this ratio as n approaches infinity. Group the "like factors" together to form ratios like [1+(n^6)]/[1+({n+1}^6)] and look at the infinite limit of those ratios. You will find that the limit of the product of these ratios you've formed gives you 1 (i.e., the Ratio Test is useless here).

1. What is a series?

A series is a sequence of numbers, words, or other objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite or infinite.

2. How do I find the sum of a series?

The sum of a series is the total value obtained by adding all the numbers or terms in the series. To find the sum of a series, you can use various methods such as the arithmetic or geometric series formula, summation notation, or by using a calculator.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each term is constant. In a geometric series, each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term. For example, an arithmetic series could be 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, while a geometric series could be 2, 6, 18, 54, 162.

4. How do I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

A convergent series is one where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one where the sum of the terms does not approach a finite value. To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or integral test.

5. How can I use series in real life?

Series can be used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. In real life, series can be used to calculate compound interest, model population growth, analyze data trends, and more. Series can also be used in everyday activities such as making a budget, calculating probabilities, or planning a fitness routine.