Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me with this

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I was studying coordinate transformation and I came across this equation, that I couldn't understand how it came up. Let me put it this way:
    x = rcosθ

Then if I want to express the partial derivative (of any thing) with respect to x, what would be the expression? i.e. ∂/∂x=?
    According to the text, answer would be
    ∂/∂x=cosθ*∂/∂r - (sinθ/r)*∂/∂θ

Please explain to me how to come up with this expression.

Thnaks

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2
    Hi.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}$$

$$r^2=x^2+y^2$$

$$2rdr=2xdx+2ydy$$

$$\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{x}{r}=cos \theta$$

$$tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}$$

$$\frac{d\theta}{cos^2 \theta}=-\frac{ydx}{x^2}+\frac{dy}{x}$$

$$\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}=-\frac{ cos^2 \theta y} {x^2} = -\frac{sin \theta} {r}$$

I hope these calculations are helpful.

4. May 19, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The chain rule:
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

But since there are two variable, r and [itex]\theta[/itex], just "[itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex]" is not enough. You also need [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]. Then we can write [itex]r= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex] so that
    [tex]\frac{dr}{dx}= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}= \frac{rcos(\theta)}{r}= cos(\theta)[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dx}= \frac{1}{1+ y^2/x^2}\left(-\frac{y}{x^2}\right)= \frac{-y}{x^2+ y^2}= -\frac{r sin(\theta)}{r^2}= -\frac{1}{r}sin(\theta)[/tex]

So that
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= cos(\theta)\frac{\partial F}{\partial r}- \frac{sin(\theta)}{r}\frac{\partial F}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook