Help Me with Vacuum Energies quote

In summary: 6 x 10-34 joules (the energy of a single electron moving around a proton), p = 6.626 x 10-27 joules and e = 2.7 x 10-27 joules.
fbsthreads
The following is from a book I'm reading:

(With regard to uncertainty and vacuums)

Becuase of the uncertainty principle, this apprantly empty space is filled with particles flickering briefly in and out of existence. The energy required to make these particles is borrowed from the vacuum and then quickly repaid when the particles annihilate each other and subsequently disappear into nothingness.

can someone explain what's going on there.

Physics news on Phys.org
To fbsthreads and to anyone on this forum: Sorry I cannot help; and I tell the same question than you: what is really happening in vacuum? I think if someone can explain it with precision: he is the next "Nobel" in physics. Energy in vacuum is actually an enigma. Or is there some one with a super answer and a solution? Thanks for more informations too.

With all the math involved in superstringtheory one might think it will eventually list the geometrically basis to our reality :smile: Who knows?

Or it is one of those things, where we will keep developing the math until we run out of room. Pure speculation. We know einstein got to where he did by following some basic geometerically defined rules.

Does it not have to be this way in understanding the dynamics of the universe?

So when you run out of tools for explaining, what do you think these mathematicians do? They create a new math I say...Reinmann couldn't have seen without the help of gauss's vision?

Or smolin, in developing a "synthesis" that arose out of pure logic from three roads? :smile:

Last edited:
fbsthreads said:
The following is from a book I'm reading:

(With regard to uncertainty and vacuums)

can someone explain what's going on there.

The unseen player in this description is the uncertainty principle. The UP says that the product of the uncertainty in the energy of a particle times the uncertainty of its time (i.e., its lifetime) is greater than or equal to a certain small constant. Thus if the uncertainty of one of them is small, the uncertainty of the other is large.

Now to be observable, a particle has to be "on the mass shell" which is code for the equation* [tex]p^2 = e^2 - m^2 [/tex]. In a virtual particle, the equation is not satisfied because the energy and momentum are small in accordance with the uncertainty principle.

So you can imagine a particle that comes into being from the vacuum, has a lifetime too short and an energy and momentum too small to be observed, and dies. This is a virtual particle. energy and momentum are conserved, "up to the uncertainty".

* In units with c = 1.

What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the energy of empty space. According to this theory, even in a region of space that is completely devoid of matter, there is still energy present due to the continuous creation and destruction of particle-antiparticle pairs.

How is vacuum energy related to the universe?

Vacuum energy is believed to have played a crucial role in the early expansion of the universe, known as inflation. It is also thought to contribute to the overall energy density of the universe, and therefore has implications for the ultimate fate of the universe.

What is the significance of the "Help Me with Vacuum Energies" quote?

The quote, "Help Me with Vacuum Energies", is often used as a humorous reference to the complex and mysterious nature of vacuum energy and its implications in physics. It highlights the need for further research and understanding in this area.

What is the current understanding of vacuum energy?

Despite being a well-established concept in quantum mechanics, the exact nature and magnitude of vacuum energy is still not fully understood. There are ongoing efforts to measure and study vacuum energy, and it remains an active area of research in theoretical physics.

How does vacuum energy relate to the vacuum state?

The vacuum state, also known as the ground state, is the lowest energy state of a quantum system. Vacuum energy is a property of this state, and is often associated with the energy levels and fluctuations of a system around this state. However, the exact relationship between vacuum energy and the vacuum state is still a topic of debate in physics.