1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    [3.06] If two sides of a triangle are 8 and 22, what is the range of possibilities for the third side?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2
    First, this belongs in the homework help forum, someone will probably move it for you,

second: try drawing the triangle, with various angles between the two known sides, and see what sorts of values you can get for the length of the third side.

Edit:
    Aha, someone moved it while I was typing.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    oh, and third, please try to make the title a little more informative than just "help me".

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4
    i tried drawing it, it is multiple choise, here are my options:

a. 14<x<30

b. 8<x<22

c. 4<x<18

d. 12<x<18

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    I think its A, 22-8 is 14.... 22+8 is 30.... none of the other ones make sense as possible answeres, am i right?

7. Sep 28, 2007 #6
    ok, i just submitted, i got the problem right, it was A....... 300/300 points.. YEAH!!!

8. Sep 28, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, one side of a triangle is a straight line and so is the shortest distance between the two points: if two sides of the triangle are 8 and 22, then the third side must be less than 8+ 22= 30. Other than that, I can't say.

9. Sep 28, 2007 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Check in your Geometry book for "Triangle Inequality Theorem". If a triangle has sides a, b, c; and if sides a and b are known, then this means a+b>c. Can you figure out the rest and apply the theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?