1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    Hi, i have a test tommorow and I can't seem to figure out these two problems:

1. Atm codes: to use an automated teller machine, you generaaly must enter a four-digit code, using 0-9. How many four digits codes are possible if repetition of digits is permitted?

2. Licence plate: a license plate is to have uppercase letters or digits. Determine the number of license plates possible if repetition is permitted and if any position can contain either a letter or digit with the expection that the first position caanot the letter o or the number 0.

Can some one help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to Homework Help. Welcome to the PF, rani. How would you approach the first problem? Think of it as a pure counting exercise. If you count from 0 to the maximum number allowed by 4 digits, how many counts are there?

And then how can you extend that to other bases? (Like base 26 for letters, versus base 10 for counting numbers)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?