How to Solve Second Order Differential Equations Involving Sines and Cosines?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a second order equation x"=k/m*x (1). The solutions involve sine and cosine functions and a linear combination of both. Another method using complex numbers is mentioned, but it is unclear if the person asking the question is familiar with this concept. The speaker offers to work out an example if the person is familiar with complex numbers.
tuananh3ap
hello every body .I have some problem :
i don't know slove the equation
[tex]x"=k/m*x[/tex] (1)
i don't understand result of (1) is [tex]x=Asinkt+Bcoskt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two independent solutions, because it is a second order equation. They are sine and cosine. The general solution is then a linear combination of both, as you can check by just plugging it into the differential equation.

i know this thing. But i don't know the way to slove this equation
who can help me. thank you very much

Well, one way is to recognise the form: if it involves just x'' and x, then it is usually something with sines and cosines, because those are the two functions you know which are (almost) their own derivatives.

If you know about complex numbers, there is a more elegant way (which also works for more general equations). That is to plug in a trial solution [itex]x = e^{\lambda t}[/itex]. Then the differential equation will give you an equation for [itex]\lambda[/itex], whose roots provide the n independent solutions (for an n-th order differential equation, in this case, n = 2).
I can work out the example for you, but you better tell me whether you know about complex numbers and stuff like
[tex]e^{i\theta} = \cos\theta + i \sin\theta[/tex]
before I do a lot of work for nothing :smile:

What is a second order equation?

A second order equation is a mathematical equation that contains a variable raised to the second power (x^2). It is also known as a quadratic equation and can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x is the variable.

How do I solve a second order equation?

To solve a second order equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. First, identify the values of a, b, and c from the equation. Then, plug in these values into the formula and solve for x. There may be two possible solutions, known as roots, for a second order equation.

What is the discriminant and how is it used in second order equations?

The discriminant is the expression under the square root sign in the quadratic formula (b^2 - 4ac). It can be used to determine the nature of the roots, or solutions, of a second order equation. If the discriminant is positive, there will be two real and distinct roots. If it is zero, there will be one real root. And if it is negative, there will be two complex roots.

Can a second order equation have no solution?

Yes, it is possible for a second order equation to have no solution. This occurs when the discriminant is negative, resulting in two complex roots. In this case, the equation has no real solutions.

How are second order equations used in real life?

Second order equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, calculate the trajectory of projectiles, and determine the optimal solution to a problem. They are also commonly used in financial analysis and forecasting.