Finding Distance with Mechanical Energy Problem

In summary, the problem involves a bullet of mass 0.0800 kg fired onto an empty box of mass 0.920 kg initially at rest. After hitting the box, the bullet passes through it and emerges with a speed of 1/2V. The box also moves and stops after a distance of s due to the rough surface it is on. Using the conservation of momentum and the work-energy theorem, we can solve for the distance s, which is found to be 156 m. Alternatively, we can use the kinematic equation 2as = v2, where v is the final velocity of the box, to calculate s.
raisatantuico

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 0.0800 kg is fired onto an empty box of mass 0.920 kg initially at rest. Upon hitting the box, the bullet has a speed of V= 900.0 m/s and is oriented horizontally. After hitting the box, the bullet passes through it and emerges with a speed of 1/2V. The box also moves but due to the rough surface it is on, it stops after moving a distance of s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.500, find s.

Homework Equations

W other= ∆E (mechl energy) + ∆E therm

∆E = (K2+U2) - (K1+U1) + f∆x

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did is i used the Wother formula to solve for ∆x.. my answer was .10m.
this is wrong because the choices to the multiple choice question are: A. 3.99m B. 39.1 C. 72.0m D. 99.7 E156m

I think there is more to this problem then using the Wother formula.. do i need to use the conservation of momentum??

Physics news on Phys.org
raisatantuico said:
do i need to use the conservation of momentum??

Yes.

i am confused on how to use the conservation of momentum. so initial momentum is when the bullet hasnt hit the box yet, and the final momentum is when the bullet has hit the box?
so m(bullet)xV(bullet) + m(box)xV(box)= (m bullet + m box)Vfinal

then, in solving for the s displacement of the box,we use the Wother formula, ∆E mech+∆E therm. kf+uf - (ki+ui) + F∆x=0 ?

all the potential energies are equal to zero, so that leaves:
kf- ki + F∆x = 0

what is kinetic energy final and kinetic energy initial? is kinetic energy final equal to the 2 masses times the final velocity of the bullet once it is out of the box (1/2v = 450 m/s) ? initial kinetic energy is when the bullet hasnt hit the box yet?

i am so confused.

You haven't quite got the correct velocities for your momentum equation. The velocity of the box before collision has a special value (hint: its not moving) and afterwards it may have a different velocity than the bullet. You know three of the velocities (and all the masses) so you should be able to solve your momentum equation to get the velocity of the box after collision.

Thanks! ended up with 156m = ∆s. i hope this is right. from what i understand, using the work other formula, we just consider the box and surface system. we just use the intial and final velocities of the box.

I also get 156 m.

Note, that the box is under constant deceleration so it is possible to find distance s from velocity v and deceleration a using the standard kinematic relationship 2as = v2. This equation will also emerge directly if you consider the mechanical energy of the box and set work done by the deceleration force equal to kinetic energy.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energy of an object. Potential energy is stored energy that an object possesses due to its position or shape, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How do you calculate mechanical energy?

The formula for mechanical energy is ME = PE + KE, where ME is mechanical energy, PE is potential energy, and KE is kinetic energy. Potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity.

3. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a spinning top, a bouncing ball, and a falling object.

4. How is mechanical energy different from other forms of energy?

Mechanical energy is different from other forms of energy because it is the sum of potential and kinetic energy, which are both types of mechanical energy. Other forms of energy include thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy.

5. How can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy through various processes. For example, a wind turbine converts the mechanical energy of wind into electrical energy, and a car engine converts mechanical energy into thermal energy to power the car.