1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help meeee:-s.

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    hey everyone.

physics doesnt make sense to me. i need help (!) esp. since im considering choosing it on highlevel in the IB Diploma programme im in right now.

anyway. so i have to answer this question for the class on wednesday, but im totally lost. i would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me ASAP!

k, im supposed to describe with the aid of a circuit diagram how i would measure the resistance of a coil of wire using a voltmeter/ammeter method. what additional measurements would be necessary in order to determine the resistivity of the material of the coil? i am also supposed to state the required formula of course.

THANKS!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PakiPie.

Just use Ohm's law: [itex]V=IR[/itex]

So if you know the potential difference V over the coil and the current I flowing through it, you can find the resistance. Its simply [itex]R=V/I[/itex].

I'd also add some other known resistance in the circuit as to avoid a shortcircuit. The resistance of the wire alone is probably very low.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?