Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help meeee:-s.

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    hey everyone.

physics doesnt make sense to me. i need help (!) esp. since im considering choosing it on highlevel in the IB Diploma programme im in right now.

anyway. so i have to answer this question for the class on wednesday, but im totally lost. i would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me ASAP!

k, im supposed to describe with the aid of a circuit diagram how i would measure the resistance of a coil of wire using a voltmeter/ammeter method. what additional measurements would be necessary in order to determine the resistivity of the material of the coil? i am also supposed to state the required formula of course.

THANKS!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi PakiPie.

Just use Ohm's law: [itex]V=IR[/itex]

So if you know the potential difference V over the coil and the current I flowing through it, you can find the resistance. Its simply [itex]R=V/I[/itex].

I'd also add some other known resistance in the circuit as to avoid a shortcircuit. The resistance of the wire alone is probably very low.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook