Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help mei am screwed

1. May 19, 2004 #1
    hey...i am ****ed for life...

i go to a UC and i got caught plagiarising on my english essay, but the thing is its only the rough draft and the final draft is COMPLETELY different and in my own, but still the proff turned it in to the board members and i got an automatic F for the class...

This is my first time and i am ****ed cause i had my whole set in going to medical school...i studied ****ing hard my whole freshman and soph year and maintaned a GPA of 3.8...and now cause of that one ****en class and everything i amd ****ed..i feel like killing some1 right now and i am clueless right now..

how big is it if u plagiarise a rough draft??

im going to talk to them tomrorrow and i need to know whawt to say..thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

I can't answer the bit about the rough draft. But I can say, from my own intuitive grasp of human nature, that the more belligerent your attitude seems to be to them, the more likely they are to dig in their heels and refuse to give an inch to you on this.

4. May 19, 2004 #3
    In undergraduate university I maintained a low C average despite a serious mental illness and never cheating, while some summa cum laudes got by with veiled dishonesty.

Contrition is your key. If school means that much to you, show them that you are now willing to follow a set of ethics.

It's helpful to express yourself, but instead of killing someone, swallow your pride, practice maturity and follow the letter of the board. Such action may benefit you throughout life.

5. May 19, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's going to be hard to prove that your final essay would be original since the rough draft was plagiarized. What was the reason behind turning in that rough draft?

Do you have a compelling argument to justify why you did it?

I would be as remorseful as possible in your meeting.

6. May 19, 2004 #5
    i was under a lot of stress that time because of my chem midterms which was the next day and being a procrastinator myself i do everything the night before

7. May 20, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You better come up with something good. There's a long list of honest folks waiting to take your spot at a UC school.

What percentage of it did you plagiarize?

8. May 20, 2004 #7
    the rough draft..its 100% .i used my friends paper

and the final ...0% ..its completely my own work

9. May 20, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You feel like killing someone because you chose to cheat and *gasp* actually got caught? Grow the hell up.

- Warren

10. May 20, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...depending on the decisions that you make right now. You are currently making the decisions that will define the course of your life. What kind of person are you? This question is more important than what happens tomorrow.

Tell the complete truth and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

11. May 20, 2004 #10
    okay, i know it is my fault for cheating and everything..and i was , like im sure everyone else would be, in a bad mood while writing this and i may have overexaggerised a little and i in no means would kill anyone because of my stupid behavior..and im sorry for that rude comment...

12. May 20, 2004 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I would do what Loren & Ivan suggested, fall on your sword. Tell them this is the stupidist thing you have ever done. Admit you were wrong and hope that they believe this is really not in your nature.

13. May 20, 2004 #12
    here is the thing..

the rough draft isn't worth any points, and the professor was just assigning busy work and i had to focus on my science classes but i intended in writing a complete original final draft which is completely different from the rough draft that i turned in.

14. May 20, 2004 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That doesn't matter. It was still an assignment, and you cheated on it. Trust me, trying to justify why cheating should have been okay will not go over well with the board.

- Warren

15. May 20, 2004 #14
    Honesty... which is alright because you never know how a cheatin habit will turn out... Perhaps this is a good first indication that will stop future impacts of similiar action.

Did you weigh the consequences in the beginning? Aw well... I can't do anything for you, sorry.

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  16. May 20, 2004 #15
    The Vice Chancellor of my uni lost his job for the same thing. Not appreciated in academic circles.

As people have said... Do not try to justify it. Simply admit you didn't have the first version ready, and so borrowed one. Be very honest about it, apologise, and work really hard on your own work in case they allow you to submit it.

17. May 20, 2004 #16

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rough drafts aren't busy work.

Rough drafts are there to ensure that you're on the right track with your work. They're there to point out any mistakes or problems. They're there to make sure you don't wait until the last minute.

Next time, if you're allowed a next time, you go to the professor and ask for an extension.

18. May 20, 2004 #17
    Chroot u are sooo cruel. poor nemzy!! I think u should take Evos advice. She is pretty smart nemzy.. just prove to them that u are honest and hardworking. thats the best u can do right now.

19. May 20, 2004 #18
    The final draft is completed.

The final draft is completed.

The final draft, is it completed ???

20. May 20, 2004 #19
    Apologize for your actions. Then offer them a deal. Admit what you had done, admit that it was wrong and offer to write another essay on the evils of plagiarizing another person's work. If there is time, write a rough draft of the essay before walking into meeting to indicate to the teacher and the administrators that you understand the value of a rough draft and to show that you have learned your lesson.

Good luck.

21. May 20, 2004 #20
    Nemzy, I think this whole situation has given you a great opportunity to think about your behavior. It may seem minor to you, but regardless of the cicumstances, you did in fact participate in academic dishonesty. You say you want to go to med school. Would you cut corners or procrastinate when you are stressed there? I sure hope not.
    I graduated from a UC, and I can say from knowing people in similar situations, that you will either be asked to leave the school permanently or you will be placed on an extended academic probation. If they offer you probation, this note will more than likely stay on your record, and should you apply to graduate school, you will have to explain these circumstances to the admission committees of the schools that you apply to.
    When I was an R.A, someone on my hall was asked to leave because he had copied his chemistry lab from a friend. This assignment was not worth any points, and this would have normally resulted in probation. But, because the student went into the hearing with the attitude that what he had done was not "that bad", and he justified why he had done it. His defensive, dismissive attitude sealed the deal for the committee. I tell you this, because my advise to you is to take a good look at this, and go into your hearing with a *genuinely* humble attitude, a formal apology, and an understanding of the reasons why what you did was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?