Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Microscope gets too hot!

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    I am trying to get a close look at magnetic nanoparticles under a relatively strong microscope (600 times plus). I am trying to observe their behaviour when an alternating magnetic field is applied.

The problem is the alternating magnetic field heats up all metal in its surroundings, including the microscope, which could damage the lens.

Any clever solutions to this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2
    This seems a tricky one but two thoughts come to mind.

1.Confine the field to the nanoparticles perhaps by the use of Helmholtz coils and laminated soft iron shielding.

2.Knock up some sort of cooling system for the microscope perhaps by the use of cooling fins or by wrapping around it some thin good conducting pipework carrying cold water.At a push you could possibly keep the microscope cold enough by wrapping around it a polythene bag containing ice.
  4. Jan 23, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

I agree with the shield idea. Get a steel plate with a hole in it just big enough to see through, and place it between the lens and the sample. You may still need a fan blowing sideways to keep the steel plate cool.
  5. Jan 23, 2009 #4

Staff: Mentor

BTW, a better shield would be a plate with the ends bent down, to form a 5-sided box that encloses the sample and generating coil...
  6. Jan 25, 2009 #5

Gold Member

Since Restfull asked about clever solutions, rather than practical ones... are there any plastic-bodied microscopes available?
  7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One simple trick: reverse wind the ends of the solenoid to reduce external fields.
  8. Feb 9, 2009 #7
    Is it possible to stick a metal core in the solenoid? That technique is used in transformers to concentrate magnetic fields.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?