1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help mIf the period of the oscillator doubles, what happens to the wavelene out guys

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    Traveling Waves

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the period of the oscillator doubles, what happens to the wavelength and wave speed?
    The wavelength is halved but the wave speed is unchanged.
    The wavelength is unchanged but the wave speed doubles.
    The wavelength doubles but the wave speed is unchanged.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the wavelength is cut in half but the wave speed is unchanged. Any flaws here guys let me know what anyone thinks. If I was to draw a graph of this the wavelength is the highest point from one to another, or the lowest point from one to another if the period doubles in a frame the wavelength would become narrower indicating it is cut in half. Right?????

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: help mIf the period of the oscillator doubles, what happens to the wavelene out g

Write down some mathematical expressions! What is the relationship between wavelength, period, and wave speed? That will determine the answer to your problem.

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    Re: help mIf the period of the oscillator doubles, what happens to the wavelene out g

Doh, i just needed some basic math for that one thanks for the help, whats the equation for the amplitude using wavelength and wave speed, any ideas?

5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

The length of a wave is measured out in space, as it advances. It is therefore measured in units of distance.

You are correct to assume that typically, wave speed isn't much dependant on wave length. Such variation can occur, for instance it does explain things like the formation of rainbows, but usually it's on a fairly small scale, not doubling or halving.

The wavelength represents how far the wave advances during its own period. If the period gets longer the wave has more time to advance.

Are you still sure of that answer?

6. Jan 5, 2010 #5

Yeah, thanks guys the wavelength would double but the speed remains unchanged. That was a duh moment for me. It was just a matter of finding the right equation (speed= wavelength/period) and plugging numbers and formulating. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. Ive got more to come some please im not a physics guru.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook