Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help modeling a hiller flybar?

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    Need Physics model for Hiller system

Have been working on a model helicopter for some time and need to mathematically model a Hiller flybar. I have basic understanding of physics and have been researching gyroscopes to model the system, but still am missing a few bits and pieces. Have the Moments of Inertia figured out I think, but need to figure out the center of inertia for the system. Think that this will take the design above the principle axis. Can any one help or direct towards a detailed tutorial?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

I must say you don't hear much about flybars any more unless you are talking about RC helicopters. I can't ever remember seeing a model presented for controlability issues with a flybar installed. However, their use is important, especially at small scales.

I did a bit of looking around and did come up with a paper from the Univ. of Toronto.

Section 2.5 briefly goes int flybars and section 2 goes into some aerodynamic background. Start with this and see if this will help you with what you already have. I have a couple of references at home, but I don't think they discuss fly bars.

You may try RC forums, but I doubt you'll find anyone mathematically modelling their projects.
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?