1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help modeling a hiller flybar?

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    Need Physics model for Hiller system

Have been working on a model helicopter for some time and need to mathematically model a Hiller flybar. I have basic understanding of physics and have been researching gyroscopes to model the system, but still am missing a few bits and pieces. Have the Moments of Inertia figured out I think, but need to figure out the center of inertia for the system. Think that this will take the design above the principle axis. Can any one help or direct towards a detailed tutorial?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I must say you don't hear much about flybars any more unless you are talking about RC helicopters. I can't ever remember seeing a model presented for controlability issues with a flybar installed. However, their use is important, especially at small scales.

I did a bit of looking around and did come up with a paper from the Univ. of Toronto.

http://www.control.toronto.edu/~lidstone/Helicopter_thesis.pdf

Section 2.5 briefly goes int flybars and section 2 goes into some aerodynamic background. Start with this and see if this will help you with what you already have. I have a couple of references at home, but I don't think they discuss fly bars.

You may try RC forums, but I doubt you'll find anyone mathematically modelling their projects.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?