Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Modeling Data

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    In my math homework, a problem asks to derive the function of a set of given points. After plotting all the points I realized that the graph is a curve with a negative slope. I have no idea on how to derive a "Best Fit" function that represents the curve. Is there something easy that I am missing?? Please help...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You study functions and learn how several of them appear when you study Intermediate Algebra (or even "Elementary Functions"). What does your set of points LOOK LIKE on a cartesian system? This suggests what function to choose for modeling the set of points. Have you reached this far yet?

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    My graph looks like the one in the attachment.

Attached Files:

6. Mar 26, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That certainly can cause a delay while approval of the file pends. Do you have another quicker representation of your data? Like I earlier asked, What does your set of points on a cartesian system look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?