Solve Math: Help Modeling Data Curve w/Negative Slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving a "Best Fit" function to represent a curve with negative slope, based on a set of given points. The speaker is seeking help and mentions a helpful link. They also discuss the importance of understanding the appearance of the points on a cartesian system when choosing a function for modeling.
dbell
In my math homework, a problem asks to derive the function of a set of given points. After plotting all the points I realized that the graph is a curve with a negative slope. I have no idea on how to derive a "Best Fit" function that represents the curve. Is there something easy that I am missing?? Please help...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think this link might be useful:

http://www.bsu.edu/web/jkshim/mathandstat/lsm/leastsquare.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You study functions and learn how several of them appear when you study Intermediate Algebra (or even "Elementary Functions"). What does your set of points LOOK LIKE on a cartesian system? This suggests what function to choose for modeling the set of points. Have you reached this far yet?

My graph looks like the one in the attachment.

Attachments

• GRAPH.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 167
dbell said:
My graph looks like the one in the attachment.

That certainly can cause a delay while approval of the file pends. Do you have another quicker representation of your data? Like I earlier asked, What does your set of points on a cartesian system look like?

1. How do I model data with a negative slope?

The first step to modeling data with a negative slope is to identify the independent and dependent variables. Then, plot the data points on a graph and connect them with a straight line. The slope of the line will be negative, indicating a downward trend in the data.

2. What is the significance of a negative slope in data modeling?

A negative slope in data modeling indicates that there is a negative relationship between the independent and dependent variables. This means that as the independent variable increases, the dependent variable decreases.

3. Can I use a different type of curve for data with a negative slope?

Yes, you can use different types of curves such as exponential or logarithmic curves to model data with a negative slope. However, these curves may not fit the data as accurately as a straight line, so it is important to choose the right type of curve for your data.

4. How do I determine the equation of the line for data with a negative slope?

To determine the equation of the line for data with a negative slope, you can use the slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. Here, m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. You can calculate the values for m and b using the data points and then plug them into the equation.

5. Can I use data with a negative slope to make predictions?

Yes, you can use data with a negative slope to make predictions. By extending the line of the data model, you can estimate the value of the dependent variable for a given value of the independent variable. However, it is important to note that predictions made using data with a negative slope may not be as accurate as those made with data that follows a more linear trend.