1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help. Motion problem.

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to do an online homework, and I think I have the right answer but every time I put it in it says its wrong :(

Take a look..

This is the graph
    2iiuy6w.jpg

and then the question is:
    What velocity is represented by the graph?
    Answer in units of m/s.

I keep putting 1.25m/s because 5/4=1.25 so thats the slope, and the velocity right?

Any help will help.
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where are you getting the slope as 5/4?

First, you will need to multiply out the units on each axis. I don't know why they did it so strangely, but whatever. Re-label the graph in meters and seconds (applying the multiplication factors shown for each axis), and then figure out the rise/run of the graph.

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    I'm getting the 5/4 cause if each division on the y axis is 5, and then each division on the x axis is 4 then the slope is 5/4?
    Isn't it?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Multiply each number on the vertical scale by 5. So instead of being 1, 2, 3, ... it's 5, 10, 15,...

Do the similar thing for the horizontal axis. Now it is re-labelled. Now look at how the line starts at (0,0) and goes up to (?,?). That should give you the slope of the line...

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    This is what you're saying right?

o50psk.jpg

so doesn't that make the slope 5/4?

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6
    I got it! lol
    I didn't realize that the line didn't cross exactly at the 5,4 point but the 6,7 instead.
    thanks (:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook