Calculate the Overall Velocity of Dropped Hamper from 3000m Height

• Thread starter snowbelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, a plane dropped a hamper of medical supplies at a height of 3000m with a horizontal velocity of 105m/s. Using the equation v2 = u2 + 2as, the downward component of velocity can be found. Then, using Pythagoras, the magnitude of velocity can be calculated. It is important to note that in this problem, the horizontal velocity remains constant due to the absence of friction. Therefore, there is no need to factor in air-resistance.
snowbelle
a plane drops a hamper of medical supplies from a height of 3000m. the plane`s horizontal velocity was 105m/s at the instant the hamper was dropped. acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s what is the overall velocity of the hamper at the instant it strikes the surface of the ocean? answer in units of
m/s

I don't get the problem, do I have to find the x component first? then what do I do after?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use this to find the downward component of velocity:

v2 = u2 + 2as

Where v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration &
s = displacement

Then use pythagoras for the magnitude of velocity

Regards,
Sam

Remember that the horizontal velocity (x-component) always stays the same if there is no friction in that direction (like in this problem)

Oh yeah, I forgot; my answer assumes that there is no air-resistance.

Cheers for the reminder daniel_i_l.

Sam

thanks so much guys

1. How do you calculate the overall velocity of a dropped hamper?

In order to calculate the overall velocity of a dropped hamper, you will need to use the equation v = √(2gh) where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the hamper was dropped.

2. What is the unit of measurement for overall velocity?

The unit of measurement for overall velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the overall velocity of a dropped hamper be negative?

Yes, the overall velocity of a dropped hamper can be negative if it is thrown upwards or if there is a force acting against its downward motion.

4. How does air resistance affect the overall velocity of a dropped hamper?

Air resistance can slow down the overall velocity of a dropped hamper as it falls. This happens because air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the hamper's motion, reducing its speed.

5. Is the overall velocity of a dropped hamper affected by its weight?

The overall velocity of a dropped hamper is not affected by its weight. This is because the equation for calculating velocity (v = √(2gh)) does not take into account the mass of the object. Therefore, two objects of different weights dropped from the same height will have the same overall velocity.